Petite girls told "you're too small to give birth?"

I'm petite (5'3", 115 and 5 mos. pregnant--weighed 101 before pregnant) and am constantly being told that I may be too "small" to give birth. This is usually told to me by friends/family and I find it really obnoxious. My OB mentioned c-section is a possibility. I know that the outside of a woman has nothing to do with the size of her pelvis/birth canal. Has this happened to anyone else? Are you this petite and have had a vaginal birth? My husband is tall, but very slender, so I highly doubt I"m having a gargantuan baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Not to me personally, but my sister-in-law was told this. She is 4'11" and she has had 3 babies vaginally despite having a tilted uterus.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 4:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• People told me that too...it's BS.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 4:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I am about that height and I was never told that. I had twins and I delivered them vaginally. I would say it's BS.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard that small woman shouldn't or couldn't have a baby because they could be to small. I know my daughter who is 5'5" is very tiny and she just didn't look like she could pass a baby, but she talked to her doctor and I guess because she was so tiny she had to have a c-section. I think tiny women should try to have it naturally unless their doctor thinks otherwise. If you are a tiny woman don't let others tell you that you can't have a vaginal birth, they don't know your body...you do what is best for you...give it a try if it's safe and if not then do the c-section.
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Its all about your pelvis, don't worry about it. My mother was 4'11" and maybe 85-90lbs before she was pregnant with me and she was able to do it...she had a c-section with my twin brothers because thats just how her doctor wanted to do it with twins, but I wouldn't worry about it unless your doctor is telling you 'WHY' you need a c-section. Oh, but ps...even though I hope you don't have a huge baby, you might be surprised!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• The width of your pelvic bones and size of your baby are major determiners as to whether or not you can deliver vaginally. In OB nursing, we use the 3 P's to determine whether or not a woman will deliver vaginally. Powers (strength and regularity of contractions), passenger (the healthy and well being of the baby), passageway (the pelvis and birth canal). If there is a problem with any of these areas, there will probably be a problem delivering vaginally. You cannot tell by looking. I have seen large women unable to vaginally deliver a 6 pound baby. I have seen petite women vaginally deliver 10 pound babies. The only way to know is to try. It is your right.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 5:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Unless you have your pelvis x-rayed and measured and have a 100% accurate measurement of the babies size, there is no way to tell unless you try it! Babies can come down at different angles. As doulas, we call it "shaking the baby down" when we encouragement movement and the use of gravity. How defeating to just be told you're too small! Don't buy into it.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Well, I am 5'2" and I weighed 136 lbs at the time my labor started with my oldest. I went in and they set me all up for dlivery, and I have to say, thank God I decied to have an epidural. After at least 8 hours of pushing, they decided to do an x-ray to see what the hold-up was, and come to find out, my pelvis wasn't opening more then an inch and a half, even during a contraction. So I had to have c-section with him and my other two. But I am not saying that will be the case with you. Just sharing my story.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Was told my fist child was going to be small. So I bought him a premee (however u spell it) outfit and he was 8lbs 3oz!! delivered vaginally. I also gained 41lbs with him. I was 105lbs before bein pregnant. I lost all the weight with him after like 2mths. The second baby I gained 33lbs and she was 8lbs 7oz. So it's all a lie what they tell you. I have always been told that I was small to people and I'd tell them what I weigh and that I eat alot, but healthy, and they'd be like yeah right. It was hurtful sometimes what they'd say
    Anonymous

• MY BESTFRIENDS DAUGHTER HAD A BABY AT 15M SHE IS LIKE 4'11 WEIGHED 85 LBS B4 SHE GOT PREG AND HAD A BABY VAGINALLY IT ALL DEPENDS HOW SMALL UR PELVIS IS
    kim2316

Answer by kim2316 at 6:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2008