Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

do I have to replace the carseat?

I got rear ended tonight, we were stopped at a red light and when the light turned green he stepped on the gas before i did... it wasnt enough to dent the bumper or anything, but it was enough that my back is starting to hurt...and I jsut realized do I need to replace my son's carseat?

Answer Question

Asked by 23wkrmommy at 10:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 4 (39 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • A rear ending isn't much of an accident so no, unless you car was totaled

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • technically, yes...did I when that happened to me, no

    Answer by MommyH2 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • Yes, simply said.

    Answer by Melbornj at 10:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • Yes
    Car insurance will usually cover it

    Answer by layh41407 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • sadly it's recommended... there can be stress on the internal foam or worse, hidden hairline fractures. Most every carseat company has a 1 800 number staffed by specialist. I'd call 'em, describe what happened and get their opinion.

    Answer by hibbingmom at 10:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • i would take it to babies r us- ive heard that they look at baby items to make sure they are still safe but if not with giving them the old one they let you buy a new one at a discounted price... i dont know when this ends though

    Answer by pinkdena at 10:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • perfect i'll call them!! i wasnt sure if it was enough of an impact to warrant it :) thanks!!

    Comment by 23wkrmommy (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • Yes, but the person that rear ended your their insurance will pay for your new one. That happened to us, and I went out and got a very nice booster seat, one that was nicer than the one I had. It is their responsibility to pay. Insurance companies don't tell you, you have to tell them you are getting a new one. They will pay for it.

    Answer by homeschoolin432 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • I would talko a car seat tech about replacing it, not someone who makes minimum wage selling unsafe things to use with your car seat. Yes, you probably need to replace it, and the other insurance company will do so.

    Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • I think almost every car manufacturer except for Britax will tell you to replace the seat. If you call them they may even be able to supply you with a letter or something to give to the other person's insurance company. From what I have read in other groups here HibbinMom is right in regards to damage that cannot be seen.

    Answer by Codysmom2106 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.