what would you do if your child had asthma and You knew that if you punished them for doing wrong and they threw a fit it would give them an asthma attack?

Does it change the way you treat them? Like trying to keep them happy so they won't throw a fit and have an attack??

Sarasmoonflower

Asked by Sarasmoonflower at 10:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh no. I will not let my daughters asthma be an excuse. I would just have the inhaler ready. If they know it will make you nervous, of course they are going to push your buttons!
    Carol936

Answer by Carol936 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I will never let my child misbehave for any reason.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Nope--I'd just get the inhaler ready. Can you imagine what they would try to pull if you let the go on???
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Don't give them an out. Asthma attacks are NOT fun. I know. If I knew my mom would let me out of bad behavior because she was scared of my having an attack, I would have pushed it. They know you are scared but they won't really risk it more than once. They are playing you like a fine violin.
    shopgirl926

Answer by shopgirl926 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• That's not a reason not to discipline. I have asthma, I know what it's like. I still grew up knowing how to behave.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My son had horrible asthma, & still does when his allergies kick in. At the same time, he was having seperation/anxiety attacks, which made things worse. What did I do? I let him CIO while helping him get over his seperation anxiety, & when he got over it, his asthma got better! But I never treated him diff bc of it, I was a tad harder on him, tho, bc I didn't want him to use it as a krutch. Now? He's a great kid!!!
    lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 10:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My daughter has something where if she coughs or cries her throat spasms and she actually can't breath. It is called vocal cord dysfunction. It is very scary for us both because even an inhaler won't help. So I do generally try and not get her to that point. If I have to correct her, I try to do it in a calm manner, even though she still isn't allowed to do wrong.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010