do u give a newborn water?

BabyGurlie1008

Asked by BabyGurlie1008 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Newborns get enough water thru breastmilk and formula so giving them straight water isn't necessary. Water before the age of 1 can actually be harmful. It's best to wait until after a year old then you can give it to them.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I think you should ask you doctor about this one. I think if you use the baby water...and say your child is crying or fussing before a feeding and you have a tight schedule for her/him, try it to help curb it until feeding. I don't see why not, I mean the rest of us get thirsty why wouldn't a baby? Do what you think is right for your baby...if you can just ask your pedi doctor.
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Newborns do not need water. Their tummies are about the size of a large marble, so giving them water will fill them up with zero calories. Breast milk or formula has everything your baby needs. You can give a baby small amounts of water, 2-3 oz after 6 months of age.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 5:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• NO, it can cause an imbalance in their electrolytes! Breast milk or formula only!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i gave my son water i don't remember how old but the doctor said to because he was constepated but they get enough water other wise
    snuffay2006

Answer by snuffay2006 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• We give my son water from time to time if he needs a little something before it is time for his next feeding. I don't usually give him more then an oz or two. In moderation it is fine. :)
    JackJacksMomma

Answer by JackJacksMomma at 6:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Nope, no need, breastmilk and formula are both full of water. A NB just doesn't need any extra fluids. Good luck!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My ped. told me to give my son (who was 6 weeks at the time) about a half ounce of water 2-3 times a day to help with constipation. I switched the formula I was using though and that helped so now he rarely, if ever, gets any water. But very small amounts of water won't hurt a baby. I just wouldn't suggest doing it if it isn't necessary.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• NO do not give your infant water. Wait until the baby is at least 4 to 6 months. The problem with water is that babies tummies are really small( the size of their fist) if they fill up on water they will not want to drink their milk. Which in the end effects their calorie intake , which effcts their weight , which effects their nutrion, which can result in problems. Ask any doctor. But it is up to you . If your child is constipated try massaging the babies stomach. But you need to be sure the baby is consitipated some children just poop less or not everday. just do your own research.
    giovannismom01

Answer by giovannismom01 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• water isn't necessary.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2008