How do I handle this? (posted in other catagory)

At a friends house this weekend, my 2 year old took a ball from his 3 year old. She hit him in the eye. No crying, no marks, he comes and tells me. I ask her to apologize and she refuses. We go and tell her dad, who responds by telling her that I am an adult and she needs to do as I ask. Great. Then he turns to me and lets me know that she was just doing what she's been taught to do. He has 2 toddlers and the tattling was too much so his girls have to taught that if something takes something from you, you hit them. Okaaayyy. My question is, given that I'm not comfortable telling my 2 year old to hit her back, how do I handle this if it happens again?

new_mom808

Asked by new_mom808 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had the same problem....I teach my girls to come to me if some one hits them....At that age if you teach them to hit back then they may hit everyone with out knowing the difference when and why. I would tell the parents of the other child and if they don't take care of their own child then I would either limit how often my children are around the others or not go over there at all....depends on how bad it gets. I have also tried to sit with both and explain sharing and not hitting....That works with my oldest and her older cousin....I will tell my nephew to not take toys and make him give it back to my daughter...(vise versa) and explain to them they have to wait until the other was done playing. They picked up on it fast....Still have hitting once in a while but I keep at it...
    sharonnacy

Answer by sharonnacy at 11:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Wow letting kids hit each other is basically a parent giving up on being the parent. There has to be rules for hurting people. God imagine what happens when they are adults! I'd stand my ground on that one.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:23 AM on Sep. 21, 2010