How do I handle this? (posted in other catagory)

At a friends house this weekend, my 2 year old took a ball from his 3 year old. She hit him in the eye. No crying, no marks, he comes and tells me. I ask her to apologize and she refuses. We go and tell her dad, who responds by telling her that I am an adult and she needs to do as I ask. Great. Then he turns to me and lets me know that she was just doing what she's been taught to do. He has 2 toddlers and the tattling was too much so his girls have to taught that if something takes something from you, you hit them. Okaaayyy. My question is, given that I'm not comfortable telling my 2 year old to hit her back, how do I handle this if it happens again?

new_mom808

Asked by new_mom808 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you really can't see your child NOT playing with his kids, then you need to reiterate, OFTEN, to your child how you want them to act. That you do not think hitting is an answer. Keep an eye on your child. If and when his child hits yours, leave. Just tell the friend it's time to go. Kids are smart...I'm sure his kids will eventually understand that their friend LEAVES every time they hit them....consistency is the key here. Good luck :)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:39 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The only thing to do is not let your child play with them again. Until the other children can learn to not hit. We have two girls and we don't like tale taling. We don't encourage them to hit. They get in trouble for it! Just because you don't want to be bothered with all the trivial little fights of siblings is no excuse to teach your child to hit.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 10:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i would not let my child play with those kids... why put your child in danger of getting hurt???
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 10:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would just keep away from them. I don't want my kids around other kids that have been taught to hit over little reasons.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• He told you that his three year old is to hit people when she doesn't get her way? Yeah... I would re-evaluate my friendship with these people. What is he going to say when they are teens? Go ahead, sleep with her boyfriend, you want him for yourself. UGH! I would not hang around them any more.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Thank you, I would normally completely agree w/ both of you, but it's not really an option in this case. We've been good friends for years and years, and he is my bf's roommate. I just cant see our kids not playing together ever.
    new_mom808

Comment by new_mom808 (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If you honestly won't keep your child away from this family, then at the very least you should talk to the parents and ask them to explain to their kids that they may hit their siblings, but not YOUR child. And if they react badly then seriously, do you need friends that bad? You need to protect your kids, over everything else. Over friendships, over convenience, over avoiding confrontation, over roommates, over EVERYTHING.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I guess you'll just have to keep an eye on your child the entire time you are over there so your child doesn't get hit.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• talk to the parents and if that doesnt help, dont let them play together
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2010