What can I put in my hair to hold a curl better?

I have very thin straight hair and I use a curling iron to curl it. Any idea what I could put in it so it would hold a curl better?

Carolannie

Asked by Carolannie at 10:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• most salon brands will work.. with a hair spray..

but if your hair is thin, it may not have a medulla (the core of the hair shaft). It's not uncommon for thin hair, (especially if it's light or blond, or chemically treated with color, etc), to not contain a medulla. A medulla helps create curl to the hair (along with the elasticity of your hair).. without it, it can make curling difficult if not impossible at times.

Your elasticity also plays a role.. pull out a piece of hair, and pull it genitally. Does is break off immediately? Or do you see some stretch and elasticity to it? If it's not stretching well before it breaks or breaks off immediately, your hair is probably over processed (another reason why it won't hold a curl) and some protien treatments will be needed first.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Thermal Setting Spray. Redken, Paul Mitchell and most salon brands have one. They are about $12 and last forever! Little bit goes a long way.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i used a bit of hair spray in my hair then curled it and then more hair spray- dont do it often though cause its really had for your hair
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 10:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Redken 28 - Hot Sets
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would suggest setting it in sponge curlers at night. Set it dry and put just a few curlers. (8-10 total) Spray it with hair spray in the
    morning and after spray dries, carefully remove curlers, flip your hair upside down and run
    your fingers through it then respray. It takes some experimenting and practice, but it is a great way to have long lasting curls. On the top row, roll the curlers up, the rest as you wish. Be aware that it will be very curly at 1st, It will settle down and last for the day. I would suggest a test run on the weekend until you get used to it. Have fun !! The great thing is it lasts all day and is not harmful
    to your hair.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Well, I can't say that this is really good for your hair, but i do it once or twice per month for special occasions. Lightly spritz your hair with hair spray (I like herbal essences) and then immediately curl it with a curling iron. There is a technique to getting better curls also, but it's hard to explain. Look on youtube for "beachy waves" and there will be a tutorial.
    pixiestix21

Answer by pixiestix21 at 2:28 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• redken
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010