3 year old calling 911....how to deal with it??help!!

Okay, so about 6 weeks ago my 3 year old decided to call 911 on his sisters cell phone while DH was sleeping off a night shift...(usually they would not be alone in that circumstance, but I had to take my Gma out of town that day). He hands DH the phone and the operator mistakes his grogginess for an actual emergency and dispatches an officer. He was able to explain what had happened and why he was groggy. No big deal, but the officer didn't even talk to my son.
Tonight my son did it again, only I was home and on my cell with DH. He got a hold of the cordless house phone and went in his room and dialed. Then he brings me the phone and says mom I called someone. I talked to her and she said it was alright as long as there wasn't a problem.
My question is: what do I do?? How do I get the point across that this is not acceptable? I have talked to him and I thought he got it, but now he did it again...I could use some advice..

cjzmom

Asked by cjzmom at 11:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Is it possible to get an officer to come to your house (or even take your son to the police station to talk to an officer)? Hearing it straight from the mouth of an officer - it is NOT okay to call us unless you are really in trouble - was the only thing that stopped by little brother-in-law from doing it.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• explain to him that its only when someone is hurt or in danger do we call 911.... its something that has to be explained early
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 11:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• watch out..they will call CPS if kids keep calling 911..they figure bad supervision...
    but I do roll play fake emergency with my kids...they love it and they get the real serious talk about how to call 911 and the on button, about staying on the line if it were a real emergency, about not calling if its a fire to just run out and go to the meeting place.

I'd make it more fun not to mess with the real phone by getting a play phone you can program in voices and teach 911.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Here is what I did. I made my daughter write a "sorry" card (she taped a couple of suckers to it) and then drove her down to the police station to apologize for taking an operators time away from a potential real emergency. She was scared like no tomorrow. The officer at the desk asked if she wanted to meet the 911 operators, and took her to the back. They explained to her how her phone call could have prevented them from taking care of a real emergency - and it never happened again!
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 11:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't know, but I'm glad they were nice. A friend of mine's son did that and they yelled at her, told her how aweful she was for letting it happen and threatened her if it ever happened again. I've been afraid of my kids doing that after hearing how bad it was for her.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:14 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• ITS JUST LIKE SAFE PROOFING THE HOUSE PUT CELLPHONES ON LOCKS TO USE AND HOUSE PHONES OUT OF REACH. THATS HOW WE DO IT UNTIL HE WAS AT A SAFE AGE TO UNDERSTAND. WE ALSO TAUGHT MY SON 411 NOW THIS WAS BEFORE 411 WAS SOOO EXPENSIVE...LOL HOPE THIS HELPS.
    MOM.E.BUTTERFLY

Answer by MOM.E.BUTTERFLY at 1:38 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Thx for all the great answers...I have considered having an officer talk to him. I think that will scare him some. The only thing is that I know with the short attention span of a 3 year old idk if he will get the point. My cell phone has a lock on it; which he has already figured out, (DOH), but its a touch screen and not as easy to figure out. The one he used the first time was an older model flip phone that was in my daughters room, but he apparently went nosing around. This time it was the house phone that my daughter was using and left off the charger (which is too high for him to reach). He shouldnt have the opportunity to do this again, but if he does (and I really hope he doesnt) I plan on asking them to send an officer specifically to talk to him about it. With a 3 year old I think its more likely to get the point across if it is immediately following the incident.
    Thanks again for the responses...(:(:
    cjzmom

Comment by cjzmom (original poster) at 2:29 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

Thanks again for the responses...(:(:
    cjzmom

• Tell him that 911 is for emergencies only and if he wants to call someone, maybe you can teach him grandma phone number or thing.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 1:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2010