What kind of dog is better for two smaller children?

We have two little ones. I figure after the youngest turns one or one and a half.. and the older one is three - we can get a dog since my husband has been begging me for one.

I have narrowed it to a couple - tell me which might be the best and why =]
-Cairn Terrier
-English Bulldog
-French Bulldog

ajc88

Asked by ajc88 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Pets

• I don't know about any of these...but we have a Basenji. I know, I know it's not a breed that I had heard of either until we got her. Hell...didn't know that's what she is until a little over a year after we got her. But they are medium size dogs (she's 4yo and about 20-25lbs.), they are known as the "barkless dog" (they will mimic other dogs if they are barking), and she's been around a LOT of children (not mine, I don't have any yet) and has been awesome with them! You can read more about them on any dog breed website, and the one's I've looked on all say that they are great with children, and I must agree from what I've seen!
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 11:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Idk, I have a beagle and I trust her with my kids. Medium, not yippy, short hair, sweet, lots of energy.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• yep...she does bark now, but that's because we had a roommate with a dashund (sp) and he barked so she caught on, she really doesn't do it a LOT unless there's fireworks or something like that, like she doesn't just bark because there's someone at the door or when people come over like a lot of dogs do. She can and does get jealous, but she was all we had to begin with, but so does our other dog that we have now...
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 11:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i have part lab/collie and she is good with kids of all ages also i have lab/husky that also are good with kids there also good watch dogs
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Oh and they can be very energetic, but our's has been around a lot of young children (toddler's) and hasn't knocked them over or anything like that...she'll come and sniff them, but then usually walks away...
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 11:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Wow! Thanks! I will look into both! Basenji - never heard of it but barkless dog? wow
    ajc88

Comment by ajc88 (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2010