At What Age Did You Become Self-Sufficient?

At what age did you move out on your own and start living without the support of your parents or a man

socialworker227

Asked by socialworker227 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• I was 15 when my dad passed away. My mom had died 6 years earlier, so I was on my own. I did end up with friends that were able to become my foster family until I was 18, but I worked to make my own money and help pay for food and other expenses. I stayed with them until I graduated high school at the age of 18 years 5 months. I went on to college thanks to my dad's estate and I worked while going to college. I was single for several years after that and was easily self sufficient.
    queenbree545

Answer by queenbree545 at 11:39 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Moved out on my own? 18... But I was paying my own way even when I lived at home with my mother...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• 17. but i didnt move out alone, i moved in with my bf. at 20 we broke up and i lived alone with our dd.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Never, lol. I went from living with my parents to marrying and being supported by my husband at the age of 19 =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I went from college to marriage. But now I am self-sufficient , divorced.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• never really, I went from living with my mom, to living with my best friend, to living with my DH (still together)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Technically the day before I turned 18.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• 19...
    18 moved out of my parents house in with my aunt where I paid low rent
    19 moved into 2 bedroom apparent with 4 other people. We were so broke... but we were self-sufficient.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 3:07 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• never..i went from support of parents to support of man at 1 month of being 17.. and havent looked back since. i work from home though and make my own money, my house is in my name and so is the land its on, i have my own car so im sure if anything happened i could manage. we lived with his parents for about 2 years but we paid half the power and baught our own food and tried to help all we could. until we moved into our first house and when our baby was 9 months we realized our house was to little so we upgraded. i can say though his car is in his dads name but we are refinancing to switch it with the year since we have made every payment and showed we can handle it.
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 8:02 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• About a year after I finished college.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:57 AM on Sep. 21, 2010