Do people really believe there was no marriage before the bible?

I just read someone's post about how Gay marriage shouldn't be legal because Marriage is something "from the bible" and the bible says there shouldn't be gays... She actually said that there was no marriage before the bible and wouldn't be marriage if the bible didn't exist and because of that if you aren't living the way the bible states you should, you shouldn't have the right to marry...

Seriously? Are there really people out there that think there was no marriage before the bible? Really? Come on...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• What? Wow, I have not heard anyone say that before. It makes no sense at all.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yeah, seriously... I've heard some interesting arguments against Gay marriage before, but this one was by far the weirdest...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yea i think my dad and his generation is like that.. its like you suck all of the intelligence out of life - that is country life around here... I live in the midwest. it was adam and eve not adam and steve- god made everything and all of science is wrong. any rational thought is work of the devil. etc etc
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'm not surprised. If you can ask, "Is there really someone who believes...", there's someone who does. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'm a Christian but I do not understand any of those mumbo jumbo arguments and they drive me nuts! I think gay marriage is an issue that has nothing to do with morals or how things are "supposed to be". I think it's a simple matter of humans judging other humans - who are we to say what someone else cannot do? I think we are supposed to use laws and government to provide for the safety and well-being of people. I do not see how keeping gays from getting married has anything to do with either one of those. But I digress! Let people throw stones at me...I can take it. ;-)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Well, you know, nothing existed before the Bible....LOL. Really.THEY think so anyway.
    As far as most Christians know, they think there was nothing until God made the earth in 7 days and made Adam and Eve in one day and that we all came from those two people and the dinosaurs and people exsisted together a few thousand years ago....etc. Wow.
    So, it is not hard for them to try to justify their disapproval of Gays and Gay marriage, based on their fairy tale about marriage never existing before the Bible. Yowza.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I've seen that posted multiple times, usually in P&CE, but occasionally in R&B, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:36 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I believe there was marriage. Whether they called it marriage is another question entirely. However, it was not about rings and a piece of paper. I believe that it was simply being in love with someone and being with that person only. Where she got that information I am not sure because I did not see such a thing in the bible. Perhaps it is how she percieved it to be. I really do not understand where people get that being gay is wrong from the Bible either. It talks about Soddom and Gamorrah (please excuse the spelling if it is incorrect), but it says to bring his guests out so that they may "know him." Last time I checked, knowing someone does not mean that you have sex with them. I beieve it is all in perception, and it seems to me that everyone puts so much faith in their pastor, priest, etc. that they believe everything they hear from them as if they are hearing it from Jesus himself......
    hostlerak

Answer by hostlerak at 12:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• ....... There are religious leaders who do give false information. I have heard and seen this myself. Personally I will never put all faith and believe everything said by my pastor, I will research thngs myself knowing that not all religious leaders are accurate.
    hostlerak

Answer by hostlerak at 12:53 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Before the Bible...heh....they had agreements based on property, inheritance, having children to carry on the family name or legal agreements only----had nothing to do with love, romance, hearts and flowers. The concept of marriage for love is really quite new.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:04 AM on Sep. 21, 2010