Questions for moms of children that use sign language

When did you start to teach them and when did they sign back for the first time?

DS is 6 months now and I really want to teach him, I even bought a book off line that teaches you signs to teach baby. Just wondering what age they seem to catch on.

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 11:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started at 6 months but he didn't start doing it back until 11 months.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 12:04 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I've been teaching DD since she came home from the hospital so she has done milk just about her whole life and gone from there, they more you show them the faster they catch on. Disney Baby Einstien My 1st Signs is awesome.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:18 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I started at 6 months too and at about 11 months he would sign "more" and "all done"..its great when they began talking it helps them communicate without too much frustration :)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 1:11 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I started at 5-6 mnths, they signed back for the first time around 9-10 months. We just did 20-25 simple, common signs.

Answer by missanc at 9:26 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I started at birth. Basically, just start with simple things first (eat, more,milk/nurse, hurt), Those were the most important that I wanted my babies to be able to tell me. Everytime you say it, do the sign at the same time. They just pick it right up!
    bamsmom2001

Answer by bamsmom2001 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Oh, my daughter was signing eat and nurse/milk by about 4-5 months, maybe younger.
    bamsmom2001

Answer by bamsmom2001 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i started at birth and she signed back a 6 months! now a month later she is pretty good she can sign more and milk! her first sign was milk!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I didn't start until about 12 mos w/DD because she was a late talker and she signed back right away. It was so awesome because she no longer got frustrated about things. I wish I would've started sooner, but it wasn't as popular then and it didn't occur to me right away. I loved it and I recommend it to everyone even though I just did signs I knew, I didn't get anything (books or movies) that were designed for babies.
    summerleigh

Answer by summerleigh at 7:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I used the dvd Baby Einsteins:My First Signs. I found if I let him watch it just before he fell asleep, he picked it up faster. I think it's because he is winding down and relaxed.
    TiredbutHappy1

Answer by TiredbutHappy1 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Oh, and I started at 6 months. By the time he was 1 he knew close to 40 signs. :)
    TiredbutHappy1

Answer by TiredbutHappy1 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010