Best gift for first time mom?

I am trying to find a gift for my good friend, who is about to be a mom for the first time, I am unsure what to get for her.....any ideas ladies....I know when I just had my son we got more of our clothes on hand -me-downs...and whatever it is would need to be shipped from IA to TX, so diapers and such are out (too pricey)....Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks Ladies

GingerT

Asked by GingerT at 12:01 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I usually put together a gift basket of my favorite stuff... Since I'm super picky and only use organic stuff, I'm sure you'll have different favorites, but I would say get her a diaper bag and stuff it. If you get one of those "one price" boxes from the postal service shipping isn't expensive at all...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• How much do you want to spend? Do you want to focus on her, both parents, the baby or the entire new family? You can send a gift card or an e gift certificate. Also, my best gift was honestly flowers. I never recieve them and they just made me feel extra special. Sometimes the small things are the best.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:05 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Scrapbooking is something that many new mums become interested in, from the time the new baby arrives (or before) scrapbooking - something like a time track of mom and baby's life and events. This can be a great thing to look back at years later. You could get her a scrapbooking kit so she can make this keepsake.
    0MYSTICALSTAR0

Answer by 0MYSTICALSTAR0 at 12:11 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Honestly I wish some one had just given me gift cards. You get so much crap from baby showers that you dont need or ever use. I wants gift cards so I could just go buy what I wanted or save them to buy clothes a little later on. I know it seems impersonal but I wished everyone had just given them to me. Whatever you do dont buy bottles!!! I got so many bottle none of them were the same kind or were missing parts. I HATED that!!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I usually put together some great mom only pamper items. A mug and coffee, spa gift card, chocolate, a real feel good mom movie (i like if you know the babies sex then a movie thats really sentimental about the mother- daughter/son relationship) some comfy jammies, maybe some undereye concealer as a joke (my friends get this, its jus tmy humor). Sometimes i see first time moms so excited about baby and everyone else so excited about baby but deep inside they are wishing someone just recognized them a little too. Also if they don't have them or plan to have them maybe a reasonable photo package for the expectant mom.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 12:22 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I totally forgot about pamper the moms stuff.....now that i think about it the best things i got was from my aunt,.... a coupe of my favoirte snack a bottle of perfume and some other nice "just for mom" items.....its so easy to forget about the myself and just focus on my son.....what a great idea !!! I think ill go with a pamper mom kits....itll be sooooooo perfect! Thanks a ton ladies...feel free to keep the ideas coming...
    GingerT

Comment by GingerT (original poster) at 12:41 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would suggest gift cards. Maybe one to some place like bath and body works for her and the other half of what you wanted to spend on baby's r us for the new baby
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 1:56 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I always appreciated gift cards. They're simple, easy, and you can get whatever you need as opposed to someone sending you something you won't use or that you don't need. Target giftcards are the best!!
    OTZMom

Answer by OTZMom at 7:42 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Gift cards were some of the best things that I received. There were quite a few things given to me that I never used or that my son never wore. At least with a gift card they can get exactly what they want or need. A gift basket or something for the new mom is a great idea.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• speaking from expirence turn her on to drop in liners for bottles they are sooo nice and u dont have such a fussy baby....... to me those things were just as important to me as diapers
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:35 AM on Sep. 21, 2010