Who should have more of a say: the parents or the law?

PREFACE: ITS A DEBATE QUESTION. DONT GO CRAZY ON ME OR OTHERS. I got to thinking about a kid I know of that called DHR on her parent for spanking her (for sexting at 12yrs old.) and they came out, gave her parents a list of 'no nos'. They told the kid to call if anything else happens, now she threatens to call if they try to even ground her.
The law is very invasive(yeah spelled it worng) in my opinion. I think that there are certain situations DHR should 100% be called so that kids dont get hurt. I think that I shouldnt feel like I have to allow my kids to throw fits in a store because I cant pop them in fear of loosing my kids.
There are parents that were blessed with sweet charming kids that will never need to be spanked. Then there are the rest of us with rowdy kids that we love dearly but have no other options. If a kids allowed to act up etc because hitting is mean, then we raise future inmates.

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 12:02 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Wow, between sexting and calling child services, that 12yo sure has some gall for her age! Sheesh! I agree this is a really fine line, and (IMHO) the parents were right for punishing her. If they chose spanking as their form of punishment, well, I'm not going to judge them for it. They are the parents and they know best what their child will/will not respond to.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:04 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Holy crap. I refuse to live in fear of my child calling CPS on me. He does it once and threatens me, I'll ship him off to military school or something. That shit will not fly.

But I agree with you completely. I don't really have anything to add.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:05 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• yeah the kid is just a really really bad kid. She is really smart and didnt have this attitude until this year in school. Her parents are at a loss. I agree with the spanking her even at 12. I'd rather give my kid a sore butt than do nothing and them possibly have something worse, life long lasting, happen.
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• If the parents are clearly NOT doing their job and the kid is in trouble or in danger then the law should be involved!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 12:12 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Spanking is not considered child abuse in most states, at least that I know of, so I don't even know how the law could get involved. And if my daughter threatened to call the cops on me for spanking her or grounding her...her ass would be shipped off to boot camp so fast her head would spin. She sounds like a snotty little trouble making brat that needs a good lesson. The law should only have more reign over a parent when the parent is harming the child, physcially (child abuse status), mentally, or emotionally. And by all those, I mean abuse...not just yelling or grounding or whatever.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Spanking is NOT illegal in the majority of states, and as long as they weren't crossing in to "abuse" then there is NO REASON for the law to become involved. Frankly, had the girl been busted for "sexting" they would have gotten involved and she would have been the one in trouble. So frankly, I would think she would have been happy to just deal with what mom & dad dealt out. As far as I'm concerned, unless the child is being abused - physically, sexual, emotionally or mentally - there is NO reason for the legal system to get involved and they shouldn't...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• LOL well there is always lock down, and I would do that to my kid. From what I now its not illegal. I would use the CAN DO's against this child. Like taking everything fun and nice away first. Then if it continues take her out of school and put locks on the windows and front door (not on her bedroom) she should be able to roam the house. And then honestly if the child becomes violent or out of hand BOOTCAMP for kids.

But yes the state gets to involved sometimes and makes the parent feel hopeless, but there is hope for parents.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I think a visit to a jail, as "sexting" is against the law needs to happen. And I think the social worker needs to explain to the child that a foster home is not what she wants. She is thinking that she can use the social worker against them and get what she wants. The parents also need to put the social worker in her place, she can't come in there and take the 12 y/o side and make the 12 y/o feel like she is in charge.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:32 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• depends on the situation...parents of course BUT sometimes there are parental units out there that aren't the brightest
    HuntersMom25

Answer by HuntersMom25 at 8:42 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• parents should have 99 percent of say unless its proven that the child is being harmed in some way.
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 9:02 AM on Sep. 21, 2010