IS IT POSSIBLE TO CONTINUE BREASTFEEDING AFTER BOTTLE FEEDING FOR 5 DAYS?

I HAVE BEEN HAVNG PROBLEMS GETTING MY DAUGHTER TO LATCH ON AND MY NIPPLES BECAME VERY SORE. I REALLY WANTED TO CONTINUE BREASTFEEDING BUT I WAS AFRAID THAT SHE WASN'T GETTING ENOUGH TO EAT SO I BEGAN TO GIVE HER FORMULA. I WAS WONDERING IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO TRY IT AGAIN OR IS IT TOO LATE.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's not too late! Get yourself to a good lactation counselor ASAP!
    Things to watch for in a good latch:
    1. nose to nipple
    2. large gaping mouth
    3. once on, look for baby's mouth to be open at least 140degrees at the corner
    4. bottom and top lip are flanged out.
    5. both nose and chin are touching the breast
    6. baby should have lot of the areola in the mouth. More will be showing on top then on bottom.

Nurse on demand, as often as you can. You missed 5 important days but you can fix that! Good Luck momma.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:13 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It's definitely still possible. Your body just needs to know that you still want to produce milk, so start pumping or getting baby to nurse ASAP. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:13 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes,it absolutely is still possible! I'm so glad to see you want to try again....I will stand in agreement with what the moms above me (Roadfamily6now and aliceryannesmom) have said.I will add this though find La Leche League online and try to locate a local group that you can attend the monthly meetings...the group leader will be a great resource for info and helping with challenges ...and the moms in the group will be a great support system,as well as a wonderful source of friendship.God bless you and your new little nursling!
    cjsix

Answer by cjsix at 2:46 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:01 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• yes, it's possible :) keep offering.. you'll do awesome!
    millerbunch

Answer by millerbunch at 7:41 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Nurse,nurse drink plenty of water and get you some fenugreek..and good luck.
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 9:07 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i plant to do both so pumping would b your best bet
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It is VERY possible. Babies are very adaptable. Given patience and love, they will go back to nursing. I have had to do it...twice. You start with bouncing back and forth between breast and bottle ONLY 3 times. Then move to the beast ONLY! You're baby might need reminding so be slow and patient. Don't try to re-introduce the breast when you're on the go. Make sure you have the time to devote to sitting and and being calm when your baby is not! Good luck to you!
    LaraleeBrown

Answer by LaraleeBrown at 11:39 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes! Get in touch with a lactation consultant, also, they make a supplemental tea that helps supply Mothers Milk Tea, and jasmine rice, and oatmeal are supposed to help supply as well. Good Luck!

Oh, and since your baby has been on the bottle and she may have some adjustment back to the nipple, a nipple shield could be useful at first.
    Mortiferouslatt

Answer by Mortiferouslatt at 12:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes!! Get some hands on help, and keep offering!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010