How can I help my suicidal 18 year old daughter?

calijuli

Asked by calijuli at 5:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• get her in therapy like yesterday, other than that i don't know how you can help. Good luck though, sorry to hear about it.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 5:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I have to suggest therapy, also, even though I know she probably won't want to go. I was suicidal when I was about 15 or 16 and nobody cared enough to try to help me. Make sure that she knows that you love her and are there for her, because she isgoing to need your support. Good luck.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• admit her to the hospital they will help her quicker there than therapy alone
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 5:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Besides being there to listen when she needs it, definitely call and make an appointment and then go with her. I was nearly suicidal at 18/19 and what I really needed was for someone to physically call the doctor and go with me, sit with me in the office and be there when I was done. I had no one to do that and I suffered for years.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Commit her to start with. You might say, that's drastic, but better that than a dead child. Get her into therapy and check on medication. She can come off the pills in a couple of months if she gets better.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Did she tell you she is suicidal? Did she attempt it? Is she just having suicidal thoughts? There is a difference. Ask her what she'd like to do about her problem, if she really has one. Even in a despondent level she'll be able to talk with you or someone she feels she can confide in. If that gets no where they see if your State has the Baker Act so they can keep her for observation and determine the root of her problem and what is best for her as a solution. Did she just break up with a guy? Or like a person who doesn't reciprocate her feelings? see if there is a circumstance that triggered it or if she's physiologically depressed. If that fails, then just hug her.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• It all depends. How do you know she is suicidial? What is her life like? Is she in high school or college? Did she attempt or just say something? Has there been a drastic change in her life lately? Does she have any kind of disorders? Has she ever been in therapy before? Without answers to these I can't really help. I know what it is like to be the kid wanting to die though (I attempted 3 times) so if you ever want to talk feel free to message me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:09 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I had the same problem when I was18. My mom was there for me (step-mom, but not to me :) ) She took me to the hospital, got me in a therapy program and went toe to toe with the insurance company to cover it. She was there EVERY single day that I needed her. She would listen to me talk, confess, spill my guts and hold me when I cried. That is what you daughter needs from you too. Just be there for her constantly until she gets better.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 12:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Call 911 and help her get admitted to the hospital.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Do you know why she is suicidal? If you know the answer to that question, then you can offer to help her fix the problem. There is usually a definite reason why people want to give up on life. Sometimes, we just chalk it up to chemical imbalance or think that there must be something physically wrong. Sometimes, it can be something as simple as a child who has never felt successful at anything they've attempted. I would gently try to learn what is going on in the depths of her being.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2008