I need some support.

ok I have posted a lot of questions about having trouble nursing my newborn. It has now been a month and we are still having a lot of trouble. He won't latch, is constantly fussy and now my supply is practically gone. I skipped some feeding today giving him formula and pumped. I know that pumping is not completley accurate but at 8:30pm I pumped 2 oz only and then at 10:30pm pumped only 1 oz. I am also taking Fenugreek, drinking mothers milk tea, eating oatmeal and besides today nursing on demand. I don't understand this. I did the same thing with my first child 4 years ago. I feel utterly horrible having to give Owen formula. I don't want to give up nursing but he is so happy and content after feeding him formula. Where as nursing just stresses us both out. It must I just need some support. I am getting really depressed and that's not good for anyone.

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 12:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• drink lotsof water n pump even if ur not feeding n dont stress thats cuttn ur supplys alot i pumped ever hr or so n put it n the freezer also worm baths n massage ur breasts to get the milk flow going.. well good luck mommy
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'm sorry to hear your having such a hard time.... Just keep pumping and trying to get the lil guy to latch, but if it doesn't happen don't blame yourself... your doing amazing Momma!!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:25 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'm sorry it is not going well. My DIL had very little milk supply but she pumped and gave the baby what she had first and then formula. She was comfortable with it and knew she was doing the best she could for her baby. Pat yourself on the back that you too are doing your best. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:56 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Pumping is NOT AT ALL ACCURATE. DO NOT GO BY WHAT YOU PUMP. Seek out your local La Leche League, and count diapers. When EBF, if you are changing 6-8 diapers in 24 hrs, your supply is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• By feeding formula you are diminishing your supply. Throw out the formula and nurse, nurse, nurse!
    Some women do not respond to pumping, you may be one of them. Join some breastfeeding groups here on cafemom and find a lol support. Lll.org I believe is the address.good luck and keep up the nursing!
    sunnyflower417

Answer by sunnyflower417 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sorry the address is llli.org.
    sunnyflower417

Answer by sunnyflower417 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I do know what it's like to just to have to struggle though feedings and then you give them the formula and they're like you've never seen them before. Mine would nurse for an hour i'd take him off then he'd still be hungry enough to take 3 ounces of formula. The big thing is, is that you should try to at least give him what you've got if you want to keep nursing which you really seem to want to and then give him a little bit if he's still hungry,so you don't always have a ravenously hungry baby cause they really don't eat right when they're screaming. Good luck.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 2:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I feel your pain. I had a hard time with breastfeeding too. I only wanted to breastfeed and never give my baby formula. Unfortunately my supply was diminishing and I tried everything I had heard about helping your milk supply increase. You are not a bad mom if you stop breastfeeding. If you are doing everything you can and it is still not working then you should probably switch to formula full time. Your sanity is not worth it. You and the baby will have more time to bond when you are not so stressed out plus you will both be happier. Good luck!
    LehmanJess

Answer by LehmanJess at 2:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My dd is 15 months old now and I must say that at first I too thought that she was not getting enough milk and seemed to be hungry too often. Found out that it is normal and as long as on nurse on demand baby will be just fine. Just ditch the formula and trust yourself and your body
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 12:09 AM on Sep. 22, 2010