Only home birth people answer, please.

Hi, I am considering a home birth and have a meeting with a midwife who has been doing it for 26 years on Tuesday. I am wondering about any complications women who have had a home birth may have experienced. Did you have to go to the hospital? Why? Was your baby negatively affected? I have been reading up on the subject and find that most potential problems are spotted very early with ample time to get to a hospital. Did you have a back-up OB? Please, only home birthers answer. I don't need to be scared by people who haven't done it themselves.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I haven't personally had a home birth, however, my Mom had her last 2 children at home. With my youngest sister the midwife stopped by to check my Mom one day and found that her placenta was failing, she induced her labor and although my sister was born purple, the midwife had no problem getting her breathing, and she's healthy, although a little insane to this day, lol. I didn't know of any problems with the birth of my youngest brother, although I've recently been told that my Mom had some difficulties, I believe it had to do with delivering the placenta though, and not with the actual birth of my brother. From my understanding neither of the issues my Mother had, had a connection with the midwife, but had to do with my Mother's age. I don't recall my Mom having a back-up OB, but I was 8 and 10 when my Mom had both my youngest siblings so I could be wrong, lol.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 5:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I havent done it but been involved in a few. none of the mothers had any difficulty. I did hear that one mother became concerned about bleeding after the birth and went to the er but she was fine and just sent home.
    My grandmother was a midwife and she delivered 100s of babies with one maternal death. now days they would have known that mother had eclampsia and advised against a home birth. good luck!
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 5:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I've not delivered at home, my pregnancies were too high risk. But yes, a good midwife should be able to spot potential problems. And I think having an OB is just sense, the OB and midwfe often work together. Any midwife who is worth anything should tell you up front that if she sees danger signs you will be referred to an OB and things will be adjusted from there.
    Anonymous

• I would've LOVED to have delivered at home, but fortunately, I was at the hospital (unfortunately, I had to have an emergency c-section). A friend of mine did an unassisted home birth, and the baby was having trouble breathing, so they went to the hospital, and spent 23 hours there. Both mom and baby ended up fine. Another doula friend of mine had a home birth with her second, and found it to be an extremely gratifying experience, especially since she had a c-section with her first (her son was breech). I'm studying to be a midwife, and wish I could do home births, but the liability and insurance are just too much right now, unfortunately. I'd say, as long as the hospital isn't too far, just in case, and everything is free of complications, then go for it! I wish you lots of luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I birthed at home unassisted. I really educated myself and my hubbie ahead of time and I labored for three days with no pain. When the water finally broke, I intuitively felt like something was wrong. I reached up to feel for my daughter and the cord had prolapsed. We had studyied this and I knew exactly what to do. I ended getting a csection anyway but I would got through it all over again. The experience was empowering and I learned so much about myself and my natural power as a woman. By the way, the doctors at the hospital told me if I hadnt done it naturally and educated myself, my baby would have most likely suffocated before we would have known what was wrong. She would have died. My intuition led me to birth this way and EVERY woman has it. Instictively you will know what to do whether you think you will or not. Good luck on your birth! And if you want to email me for support I am blackcatbaby4@yahoo.com
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 11:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I am not a home birther, but if I was younger, or if having the baby at home had been an option when my children were born, I would have loved to have done it. Kudos to you, and you are going to have a wonderful birth story!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I had my last two at home. It went very smooth and was wonderful. I will have my future babies at home if at all possible. My first HB we had a midwife. My second HB my DH and I were helped by a friend. Do your research. If you are considering a home birth, make sure you're comfortable with it. Good luck. You'll do fine.
    kcangel63

Answer by kcangel63 at 5:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I birthed my baby girl at home two years ago with a doula and mid-wife and a dear friend there with me. I was considered to be an at risk mom with my back up OB (who had no idea of my plan to have a HB) because I was old... I was 37. I labored in water and gave birth on my bed. Her heart beat dipped a bit but nothing dangerous. I would not do it any other way!!! It was painful and exhilarating and scary and joyous. I firmly believe that birth is a natural process that shouldn't be messed with at all... unless it is life and death. Unfortunately, hospitals are in the business of telling you things are not going well and that you need intervention. Watch "the business of being born".
    morning-glory

Answer by morning-glory at 8:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I have had four great homebirths. two water births included. I'm expecting again and I'm looking forward to another homebirth/waterbirth. Trust your body and your midwife!
    chiro4sure

Answer by chiro4sure at 9:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• how come everyone who answered has never had a home birth...i love how moms on here pay attention. geez.
    Anonymous