If you hate your job, why do you stay?

OTHER than the obvious loss of income and bad economy of course! Is there something about the job, the company, whatever that you find appealing, so you suck it up? Do you have friends that work there and you stay because of them? Are your benefits too good to give up?

The benefits are pretty much it for me. I've got excellent benefits, in particular the ones for maternity leave and since DH and I hope start trying for another baby next year (depending on our finances of course), I'd hate to lose them. So I stick it out.

BTW, I don't actually hate my job. There are days that I get annoyed by it, but I don't really hate it, LOL.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• we all hated our job at my company. They worked you to the bone, didn't appreciate you and if they got the chance they screwed you over. We all stayed because the people who were there were like a family. We all knew each other, we all went to every one elses parties, we knew each others kids and what was going on in every ones lives. I'm talking 500 employees. but the company slowly went under. in less than 2 years it dwindled to 100 people and then closed without warning. and still they screwed us. Though we all still have contact with the others! That's why we stayed.
    MumsTheWord571

Answer by MumsTheWord571 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• oh- and it wasn't the people that ran the company under, it was the owner expanding too fast, too soon, and in risky ways. he wouldn't honor warranties and other stuff. stupid stuff. but we tried to save it.
    MumsTheWord571

Answer by MumsTheWord571 at 1:03 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• if i stay is because i need to make sure that the next job will be long term , good benefits and stable , and the pay will be cloe to the previous one or that it justifies my leaving the prior job !
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 1:27 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I stay bc I can work from home most days. I could make more if I went someone else, but I like working from home so I deal.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 3:05 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I stay for the money. I have a high paying job for our area and would have to take about a 50% pay cut to go somewhere else. In due time my job will not be there because of how poorly it is run but for now I feel very stuck. We have no benefits, our boss would screw over anyone in a minute and has no problem cutting wages to keep his pockets full. I started my own business to get out just taking a while to replace my income.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 8:05 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't hate my current job, but I have had hateful jobs in the past. One of them I stayed because at the time I needed to make it through and I read daily about the war in Kosovo and the trials those civilians faced - it made my issues seem like nothing!

Another job, it's hard to explain, but if I quit, I would not have graduated with my Master's degree, so I stayed until I got it then left.

Another job, I stayed because I was under contract and it would have cost me ALOT to leave.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 1:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The longer you stay at a job, the more stable your work history is.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I think most people believe they should try to find a job that will give them financial security vs financial freedom. I did leave my 9-5 because wanted financial freedom. Now I am in control of my career, money and most important my time.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 3:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't hate what I do but I don't like my management team. You could ask every one of them the same question and you will get a different answer from every single one of them. ugh. That makes my job harder but I love what I do even if it is harder. I stay b/c I LOVE my clients. The pay sucks and the benefits aren't good.

MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 10:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• for the money and benefits till something better comes along
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 5:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2010