how do I get my two year old to sleep without waking the whole house?

Every night it is a battle to get my two year old to sleep. she takes a nap earky around 1130 1200. but wont go to sleep until 10 sometimes 12. we have tried the lights out and the no food or drink late locked in her room, and much more. I ALSO HAVE A 6MONTH WHO IS PERFECT. WAKES UP AT 7ISH TAKES NAP AT 1130 UP AT 1 NAP AT 5ISH UP IN 30 CAUSE THE KIDDOS USUALLY AND BED BY 830. MAY WAKE UP FOR A FEEDING BUT GENERALLY NO.

MOM.E.BUTTERFLY

Asked by MOM.E.BUTTERFLY at 1:06 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What time do you start putting her to bed & how much of a bedtime routine does she have? Being overtired can cause difficulties at bedtime. I have a 20 month old & this is what we do, I put up a baby gate in his doorway. We do our bedtime routine, then say love you and night night & I leave. The 1st time he gets up, I'll say night night & love you again when I put him back in bed. If he gets up after that, I say NOTHING... just put him back in bed. The first night in his toddler bed it took almost 45 minutes of up & down before he finally gave up & went to sleep. Within a few weeks he was improving. Tonight he only got up once. Other nights, he might get up 4 or 5 times but he's usually (not always) out within 30 minutes. My 1st child however was different... for him, I would shut all the curtains to dim the light, & play soft music for an hr before bedtime. It was the best way to get him to relax for bedtime.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• haveu tried a bath before bedtime that knocks my kids out i also used that soap wit lavender it relaxes them n helps wit them going to bed well good luck mom
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 1:18 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• She might be ready to give up her nap. My two gave it up at 2 years old.

One technique I have heard of is to explain it is bedtime and after reading a couple of books, etc it is explained that the parent will sit on the floor near the bedroom door until the child goes to sleep. The parent sits with their back to the bed. When the child gets up she is put back in the bed gently with NO talking. This can happen over and over. It will take several nights of doing this. The key is to be gentle and no talking.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:39 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I DID TRY THE BATH....BUT NOT THE LAVENDER I WILL TRY THAT...LET YOU KNOW IN TWO WEEKS IF THE EXPERIMENT WORKED.
    MOM.E.BUTTERFLY

Comment by MOM.E.BUTTERFLY (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I saw that on super nanny and I tried it didn't work. She thinks i want her to stop crying so she stops crying and then gets up and when I put her back its like a weird cycle. I will try to not give her a nap. Hard when we go on trips to the store, because if she doesnt have one at the right time she will fall asleep right later in the day around 5 or 6 like right before dinner and then she will for sure be up late.
    MOM.E.BUTTERFLY

Comment by MOM.E.BUTTERFLY (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Sep. 21, 2010