Anyone had a Dad that was mean to you for 30 years?

Now that he is OLDER he wants to be friends, UGH!

NicolesMommy

Asked by NicolesMommy at 1:09 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• Even family members can be toxic. So brutal because cutting a family member from your life feels wrong but if they are causing you anguish, they aren't worth the blood that put them there. However, we are a forgiving species at times so if you see it as worthwhile and maybe he relates better to adults, then go for it. As long as you aren't being hurt you can extend an olive branch and be the bigger person.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:46 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I used to say if he died I wouldn't care. It's just the hurt factor.I had to forgive him, and move on. It was making me sick, and it has made me a better parent to my own children. I didn't get him the way I should have, but it's just nice to have him now. I'm not angry anymore. It's nice.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:12 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My dad was mean to me for 19 years, until I had the good sense to cut off the relationship completely. I have never looked back, best decision I ever made. I just saw him at my brothers wedding and he avoided me like the plague, lol. I was glad. If he ever wanted to get back in touch, I would refuse.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:13 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• never had the chance, he left us when i was 4years old. never contacted us again. his 3kids. yet he still sends my grandad(his dad) a birthday card every year. one way i want to find him to know why, in another im not sure if i want to see him, it mite just end up upseting me to see that he still doesn care.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 1:19 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My father was abusive for most of my life, emotionally and physically. When my parents divorced he attempted to make ammends. He calls occassionally trying to touch base, he asks how my kids are etc. I will typically hand the phone over to either my husband or my children, unfortunately its too late for him to have me love him. The one thing I've learned is that children don't give unconditional love and they don't have too. The one good thing from his abuse is helping me learn this and it makes me a better mother and gave me the ability to break the cycle of abuse.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• WOW
    CarolineDezon

Answer by CarolineDezon at 10:17 AM on Sep. 21, 2010