Question for FELLOW HOMESCHOOL MOMS

What cirriculum do you use?

Do you write your own or did you buy one?

Does anyone use K12 or another online program?

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 1:09 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• We are pretty eclectic but I tend to lean towards the Charlotte Mason and classical education styles. I am not a big fan of work sheets or work books...other than for math of course. I think one of the best things we can do as far as academic education for our children is reading out loud to them. All our history is done by reading "living books". No text books that give you just bits of information. I highly recommend The Read Aloud Handbook. It is a great resource to have or at least check out at the library and read through it! We also read biographies that go along with what we are learning in History. While I am reading history out loud to my children they will act it out. It is amazing how much is retained by doing this rather than reading out of a text and answering some questions!
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 11:01 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• When I was being homeschooled I sifted through endless magazines, first year I chose alpha omega, hated it. Mostly the math because it didn't explain it well enough for me. So the next year I took my favorite math (saxon) and paired it with different books for the other subjects.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 7:02 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• We use a modified version of AmblesideOnline. It's a complete curriculum designed to fit as closely to what Charlotte Mason used as possible. Literature, History, Geography, Science, Music, and Art are all covered using this curriculum. For math, we use the Mathematics Enhancement Programme. It's an intensive British curriculum that's designed to encourage mathematical thinking as opposed to just drilling facts. Both of these curriculums are available free online.

AsiaCansler

Answer by AsiaCansler at 12:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2010