Help I've never made meat loaf! What on earth is prepared mustard - Frenchs??? What do they mean by Handling as little as possible? It's meat! How an I suppose to get the bread crumbs in there if I'm not handling it?

I HATE COOKING, For the past 4 1/2 years my dh has done all the cooking, but he's been on call more and now I have to make more meals. I would like them edible - I don't want to kill the man or my kids.
Here is what I"m working with 1 1/2 ground turkey
1 cup milk 3 slices bread 1 egg 1/2 tsp prepared mustard 2 tbs of Worcester. I don't want to handle it - bla! but I have to mix it - right?

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 5:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• well, to answer your question first: yes, prepared mustard is like frenches. otherwise it would be mustard seed. as far as the handeling it, alot of meat loaf recipes say that, but honestly, its not a big deal. i think its to keep the bread from not breaking down into mush, so that it does its job in being a filler and keeping the loaf stuck together. really, what you do is dump all your ingredients in the bowl, THEN mix it all together at the same time. its easiest to mix with your hands, not a spoon.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 5:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Girl, I have a fantastic meatloaf recipe... I will email it to you!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• BUT-the easiest thing in the world is to take your thawed meat, at least 1/2 chopped onion (more if you like more onion), a can of tomato sauce or paste, bread crumbs, and 4 tablespoons of worchesteshire, and add some minced or powdered garlic, and 1 or 2 eggs. mix it all together in a bowl with your hands. put in a pan or casserole dish, put some ketchup on top and spread it out. bake for at least 35 min. on 350 degrees. check middle of loaf to see if its cooked. if all pink is gone, its ready. if not, check every 10 minutes.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 5:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Definitely use your hands, and mix it with a scooping motion. Don't squish it between your fingers (makes the meatloaf more tough after it is cooked). And try different variations of meatloaf. I love Bobby Flay's Balsalmic Glazed Meatlof on Food Network's website. It has roasted veggies in it. Mmmmmmm!!!!
    icook

Answer by icook at 9:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Prepared mustard is just regular yellow mustard...as opposed to powdered mustard.
    Handling it as little as possible means mixing just until combined, not overworking and mixing excessively, which will result in a crumbly, compact, dry meatloaf.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2008