Should I have questioned God's existence or intentions?

When my son died I was filled with so much anger and sadness. I blamed God for giving him a heart defect, and I blamed him for letting my son die. For a while I turned my back on him. When the anger and sadness subsided, I realized that it was God who freed my son for the pain that he was in and that he allowed him not to suffer. Should I have turned my back on him? Was this the correct or Christian response to such a tragic event? Would a true Christian have done the same thing? Please remember that this is a friendly debate and in no way were my intentions to offend anyone who may be offended.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Religious Debate

• i think what you did was normal..remember JC on the cross, asking why God(his own father!) had forsaken HIM? if God's own son can question Him, surely He expects us to do the same. if you chose to believe in Him in the first place, then its also your choice to change your mind. (not saying you stopped believing, maybe you did, maybe you didn't)
    the point is, you've already realized where you feel God intervened, rather than caused your child's pain. i wouldn't say you've turned your back on God at all..i'd say you're being human (you can't be anything else!), and going through the very real pain of grief..with acceptance being one of the stages.
    there is no 'correct xtian response' to personal tragedy. you were hurt, sad, in dire emotional pain, you blamed someone, you accepted the situation, and you're on your way back to 'normal' (whatever that is). you are human. :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:30 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'm not Christian, but if God is as benevolent and forgiving as most good Christians make him out to be, then it doesn't matter if you turned your back on him, he'll forgive you if you ask forgiveness.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:48 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes you should. Just because so many people believe in it, doesn't mean its real. There's been zero proof of its existence. You can lead a good life without being religious, or just look into other belief systems.

Meditating and yoga, reiki all help with depression and coping. I know a Mom whose also gone thru that loss and she not only questioned God but gave up on it entirely, became a Pagan and is feeling so wonderful and understanding more connected to her child in death than she ever did before. Its all up to what you feel you need.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:46 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I really loss about the loss of your son. There is nothing wrong with questioning God, it's part of being human,  it makes us who we are.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:58 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't think there is a "correct" response to such a tragedy. You feel what you feel....no one can say you were wrong for that. If you feel god is there for your ds now, and it brings you comfort then thats all that matters. I'm sorry for your loss.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:50 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Turning your back of God is normal when your concept of God does not sustain or lift you up in times of distress. Being a Christian does not exempt you from being human. "True Christians" are an ideal, a form of idealized perfection that no human can attain.

I am sorry for your loss.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:30 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You were going through the normal grief process. Do not worry about it now. I am so sorry for your loss.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:19 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• GOD will forgive you sister if you already asked and meant it then you are forgiven!!!!!! I also lossed my son Johnathan when i was 26wks preggo he lived for one day then he passed away oh my goodness its so hard to go through it and live it everyday but without GOD i don't know how i would make it through each day........GOD,JESUS,HOLY SPIRIT LOVES YOU AND SO DO I..........im here if you ever need to talk
    -KenzieTaylor-

Answer by -KenzieTaylor- at 3:15 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• First of all, I am so sorry you lost your son. I think it would probably push my people to questions God. I think that God is understanding enough to know that you weren't really as angry at him as you seemed. What you were going through, in my mind, would be the worse ting imaginable. I think your questioning was completely justifiable, but I'm glad you came to the realization that you did. Don't beat yourself up over it. You may be a Christian, but you're also human, and we all make mistakes.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:10 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I am very sorry for your loss.

What you are experiencing is a normal stage of the grieving process.  I promise it will pass.  Here is a really helpful link to the stages of grief. 

http://www.tcfniagara.ca/id30.htmlIt

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:15 AM on Sep. 21, 2010