how long before bedtime should you feed your 3 yr old a snack?

my child always wants to eat when i say bedtime. should i feed her or is it just a ruse?

ctopaz54

Asked by ctopaz54 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she's probably just saying that so she doesn't have to go to bed, my 4 yr. old does the same, I usually give him a snack maybe a half hour before bedtime and I make sure to tell him that's all he gets for the rest of the night.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 8:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• my son is the same. I think they are just smart kids!
    Jaydensmom2005

Answer by Jaydensmom2005 at 8:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Yea, they learn quick all the tricks to getting to stay up later. I give my kids a light healthy snack bout 1/2 before bedtime an I make sure they understand that that is it till morning!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Sounds like someone is trying to stall going to bed!! Make a rule, snacks 30 minutes before bedtime and that's it. If she asks for it when it's time to go to bed, too bad, she's going to have to wait til morning.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• probably just trying to buy more time.. i wouldn't give them anything an hour before.. and the only drink i'd give them before bed is water, anything sugar will hurt there teeth.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 10:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• probably just trying to get out of going to bed
    logan-n-kairi

Answer by logan-n-kairi at 10:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I think they are probably just trying to get out of going to bed b/c my 2 yr. old always does the same thing. I just say "too bad!"
    aubB06

Answer by aubB06 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I dont let my son eat for an hr before bed. We have a schedule for food with him as he will eat nonstop otherwise. Try setting a schedule. He knows when I say things like its not snack time yet that he has to wait until its snack time.
    elijahsmom627

Answer by elijahsmom627 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• no i would feed her an hour before bed
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Depends on what time you have dinner? My kids are 9&13 they still feel like they need to have their bednight snack so an hour to hour 1/2 i sit them at the table give fruit,small cereal, some little something, tell okay after this its time to start to bed. It's worked all these yrs Compromise.....
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 4:00 AM on Jul. 2, 2008