Does the BAH from the Post 9/11 GI Bill count as income for public assistance?

I'm kind of embarassed to ask this question but, my husband and I have two small children to feed, and we're having a tough time keeping up with bills, and groceries. Of course, we're choosing groceries over bills, we make sure our babies are fed. My question is, and please no bashing, do they count the BAH as income for food stamps, or the SNAP program as its called now? We don't want to be on them, but we're struggling right now. Thanks for your answers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• Honestly, I don't know, but I work a lot with military families, and I was curious so I looked up the info. As best as I can find out - yes, your BAH counts towards your income when it comes to applying for food stamps. BUT - from looking at the site, there's still a very good chance you could still be eligible. The site I was reading basically focuses on Active Duty, but the Post 9/11 GI Bill pays BAH at an E-5 with dep. rate for where your school is, so the part that talks about how the BAH factors in should still apply. I'm including a link to the page, because it has a calculator where you can see how likely you are to be able to get aid, and also what the requirements are (there's a link in the link called "resources" - check it out).

Hope things get better - I'm putting the link in a separate post so it can fit :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:37 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Ok, for some reason, the link feature isn't working right today... Here's the first link -

http://www.militaryhomefront.dod.mil/portal/page/mhf/MHF/MHF_DETAIL_1?section_id=20.80.500.165.0.0.0.0.0¤t_id=20.80.500.165.500.270.90.0.0

Then, here's the link inside that one that I think should be able to answer a lot of your questions about it -

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/applicant_recipients/eligibility.htm

Good luck, I hope things get easier for you soon!

(Also, have you looked into the WIC program? They might be able to help, too.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:40 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• not sure about food stamps, the links above should have the info you need,
    also look into WIC
    are you army? ACS has other info about resources too.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:35 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You mean do they count as income at tax time? I wouldn't think so, but you'd have to ask the office that issues the public assistance to know for sure.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i dont think so
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 5:40 AM on Sep. 22, 2010