how can i stop my DD from biting her lips?

my daughter will be four on Pearl Harbor day and she has been biting her lips since December. shes biting them until they bleed. usually it bleeds for a lil bit and hurts her, i put some baby oragel on it. tonight she took a chunk out of her lip there was blood all over her and her lip looks. how do i stop this?

virgo_mom

Asked by virgo_mom at 3:29 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does she do it when she's nervous? The best way to stopa bad habit is to replace it with a good one. Maybe give her a wet washcloth to chew on.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:01 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Our dd wasn't as severe, but we sat her down and talked to her, we told her why she shouldn't do it. We had to remind her several times and remind her why not to do it. I agree with PP it may be a nervous habit, if it is I would def. talk to your child's dr about it.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 6:42 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Talk to her pediatrician about it and have her/him talk to her.  Sometimes little kids need to hear advice from someone else.  GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 21, 2010