Breastfeeding question

OK, so I have alot of milk and my son only really drinks from one breast so I stopped feeding 15 minutes on each and reduced to 10 minutes, because he was drinking from just one and leaving the other one full. Now he's eating out of both but my breasts still feel full, I know he's eating, I see him gulping and hear him burping and see milk in his mouth. They feel soft but they don't go down at all, when I first breastfed my first daughter my breast could be a cup D after feeding her they would go down significantly, now they stay the same size, is this normal or am I just looking it to much since I had a different experience with my daughter? Is this going to affect my milk supply since I don't think he's emptying them all the way?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 3:30 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe just try and pump after. Couldn't hurt to have a back up supply in the freezer
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 3:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It might increase your supply and he isn't getting the fulfilling hind-milk. I would let him nurse until full on one breast and then hand express or pump just enough so you are comfortable on the other side. Are you in the early days? HUGS. I guess you know from previous breatfeeding, but being engorged sucks. I'm sorry, I hope your supply regulates soon.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:19 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would pump afterwards both breasts. Also my mom told me she would alternate each breast at each feeding. That way they get the hind milk and they get equally used.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:58 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would let him come off the breast before switching sides. I agree that he's not getting the hindmilk if YOU switch him. Your supply will adjust.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:51 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You are ONLY supposed to feed on ONE side per feeding. You let him feed on one side until HE stops. That way, he empties it. and get fore and hindmilk. Then, next time, he eats off the other side and empties it. You also put him to the breast on demand. Your breasts will regulate to feed him. the more he eats, the more you make. If he only feeds a little off each side per feed, then he is never emptying either one and he is only getting foremilk.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/foremilk-hindmilk.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:11 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• What I forgot to put in is they can feed off both sides, but, only after he drinks from one and pulls himself off, then, you can try the other side.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:56 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No timing. Let him nurse from the first side until he comes off and then offer the second. If you want to get your supply under control, ONLY offer one side per feed, or every two feeds and pump just enough off the other side to relieve pain. It's called block feeding, you can gogogle it. Still don't time him, though.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:46 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I agree with these guys. Don't take him off of one breast until he drains the first one. Then if he's still hungry, then he can go to the other.
    How old is he? If you're within the first few weeks, your breasts are probably still figuring things out.
    How are his pees and poops? As long as he has plenty of wet diapers, and plenty of soft, mustard-yellow poops, he's not cranky after nursing, and he's growing well, then he's getting enough.
    Nursing each baby is different, and your body may react differently to each baby. It might be good to pump to have a supply on hand, but that may lead to over supply if you do it too much.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would feed on one side to make sure he is getting more hindmilk. Is he under 3 months? Your body is still probably regulating your supply
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 11:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010