Smoking pot.

Ok me and my DF are ttc, and someone told me that smoking pot (on his behafe) cuts down the chances of us conceiving. So if he smokes pot will it really cut down our chances. And please no bashing i dont smoke, and he has enough respect for me not to smoke around me or anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• I believe that weed can lower sperm count in the long run.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 5:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Umm.. I know a lot of pot heads that knocked someone up so I guess not... but you should have him stop either way b/c you guys are starting a family!
    Anonymous

• I have asked him to stop and he is as soon as the baby arrives, but we'll see what happens when the time comes lol.
    Anonymous

• It does reduce sperm count, but it also messes up the sperm that are still there. If your DF is stoned when you have sex, the sperm can actually get disoriented and swim around in circles as apposed to swimming straight. If your baby is conceived, they could have concentration or intellect problems... this is what I read in a "Preparing for pregnancy" book... obviously this is not the case for everyone, but it is still a possibility... I hope this helps.. :)
    lamr

Answer by lamr at 5:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I know a lot of guys who have concieved children during some big pot-smoking phases, but for some men it can lower the sperm count. I don't know if it can have any affect on the quality of his sperm, though...so maybe you could just ask him not to smoke when you're ovulating? Have sex, and then not smoke until after that mid-cycle has passed? lol I'm not sure, honestly.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Yeah and cut down on ciggaretts and pop with lots of sugar and caffeine
    Anonymous

• Thank all you guys! I asking him not to smoke around the days im ovulation and then go ahead and benge after my ovulation days.
    Anonymous

• I thought about leaving an anonymous answer but changed my mind. My DH smoked before i got pregnant and while we were trying and etc. I has not affected our child at all in fact our son is extremely smart for his age. i have not found any prof that it lowers the sperm count at all. but i have heard that cigarettes/caffeine/sugar and that stuff can.
    WillaKaye

Answer by WillaKaye at 7:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I know a few potheads (upstate ny seems full of them) and a few of them have babies, so I'm not sure about that whole thing. but like someone else mentioned, it will have negative affects on the baby. my fiance's father smoked pot before he was born and then his entire life.. and he has ADD, asthma and migraines. (they say it's hereditary, but NO ONE else in his family has them)

good luck
    chscris04

Answer by chscris04 at 8:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My Husband smoked,
    I did once in a blue moon,
    Thats behind us now,
    Waste of money,

Anyway it took us years and years to concieve,
    And we did stop smoking, and finally got our baby, Im being truthful here,
    they did prolly swim around in circles, like morons, for 6 years,
    Anonymous