Should i tell my husband his dad may have cancer? and if so how do i do it.

I just found out my father in law's cancer may came back and my husband is unaware. He's been under a lot of stress w/ me workin and we have a new baby and i don't want to stress him more but i also don't like keeping things from him. What should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Health

• Well, what I'm wondering is, why doesn't your FIL tell your husband himself he has cancer? That's not something that should be a burden on you as to whether or not you should tell him. I'd tell my FIL he needs to tell him himself because that's not really your place to tell him. And if he doesn't, no you shouldn't be keeping this from him, you need to find a way to tell him because if he finds out later and he finds out that you knew and didn't say anything, he'll be even more upset. I understand he's stressed but really, this isn't something you should have to deal with, this should be up to his parents to tell him.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• You will not do your husband a favor by keeping it from him.

Part of my job is telling people positive test results to Hepatitis and HIV. After years of experience I have learned to have the person sitting, with a glass of water nearby and tissues.

When you beat around the bush as you are trying to tell someone something serious and they know it you make things worse by holding back the news. So don't beat around the bush and don't just say "your dad has cancer" Be prepared to tell him the actual diagnosis, usually the actual diagnosis is easier to deal with than such a broad term like Cancer.

Pretty much anything you tell him after you give him the news, he won't hear, he will most likely not be able to concentrate so give him some time to digest the news before you discuss it further.

girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 9:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• You have to tell him. Wouldn't you want to know if the tables were turned?
    krisstencarmela

Answer by krisstencarmela at 9:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• www.gerson.org it helped a lot of my friends who had cancer
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2008