How do you stop a friend from drinking and driving?

got a call from a friend tonight. Said a guy was at her home drunk and wouldn't leave. So I dragged my wonderful husband out of bed and we went to get the guy out of the house. We didn't call the police because his wife just had a baby and he couldn't afford to loose his job. Anyway, the guy was gonna drive, knowing he was drunk. I started dialing 911. my friend told him I was calling the cops and he better park it and let my husband drive him. He did. My question is what could she have done to stop him instead of us having to be drug out of our homes at 3 in the morning?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 6:07 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Take his keys i always get the keys one way or another from the person then I know where the keys are and they aren't going anywhere with there car then if they have to leave the area I will call them a taxi and put them in the taxi and i tell the driver bring them to here and if they don't want to be there then bring them anywhere but back around here.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:16 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• she could have taken his keys and made him spend the night at her house - but she did the best thing by calling you and not having to deal with a drunk all night all by herself - you and your husband were angels of mercy - bless you!!!!
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 6:19 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Take his keys is the only thing I can think of. It sounds like maybe he listened to your hubby better than that girl. You are a wonderful friend for helping!!! Get some sleep!!!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:20 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Thank you! FYI My friend is a tiny thing and he was big. She stays with her mom, so letting him stay for the night was not an option. She tried getting the keys, she tried getting him out the door. Nothing seemed to work. I told her next time, don't let a man in who is drunk! She thought she could talk him out of driving if he came in... Silly girl! She doesn't know you can't talk a drunk into anything he doesn't want to do! LOL
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 6:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Well done! You saved that family from a world of hurt. People need more friends like you.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:37 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• hide the keys, or borrow them and drive the car where he can't find it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:48 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Maybe just straight up taking out her phone and telling him that he can't come in, but if he doesn't give her the keys she is calling the cops, and if he does give her the keys, she should call a cab (and make him pay for it) to take him home. If he doesn't she really should just call the cops. If her mom lives there, she could call the cops too.
    That was a very nice thing for you guys to do, getting up and going over there. It shows that you are really good friends to have!
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 8:11 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• As a former bartender in a small town where I knew where most of my patrons lived, always get the keys. I have had to do multiple tackle moves to get them or I would feed them more liquor until I could rangle them away. They might get mad, go kicking and screaming, but at least you are not only saving them, but anyone else on the road too. It's always a lot easy to have 2 people. One to distract and one to pull the keys out of their pocket and hide them. Talking them out of it rarely ever works. Thank you for getting out of bed and helping!!!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:16 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• good job :)
    next time she could call the cops on him.
    I've followed a friend home before that refused to give up his keys when he was drunk... in retrospect I should have called 911
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:23 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Who cares about his job!!! I'm so sick of selfish people who KNOW they have to drive, going out when they KNOW they plan on drinking, then making it other people's problem so they don't kill anyone or themselves. Next time I'd tell the person if you plan on drinking you will not be welcome over here. Or if you do want them over there, don't call your friend at 3am to take him home. Just rediculous.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:42 AM on Sep. 21, 2010