My dog is eating my husbands socks. What can I do to stop it?

My dog finds my husband's socks and chews holes in them. We can't figure out where or how she gets them, but she does. She's gone through all of them. I had to take him to the store to buy more! Does anyone have a remedy to stop her before my husband gets a hold of her?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 6:29 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Pets

• Keep clean socks in a drawer and dirty socks in a hamper where the dog can't get them
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• We thought we were? I think she's just a smart dog and has figured out how to get them from the hamper or the dryer or when my husband is taking a shower... Who knows??? Question is: Is there a way to take away the desire not to do it. We have three other dogs that we've had for five plus years. They never bothered the socks. Only Molly does it. Any ideas?
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 6:39 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• What kind of chew toys do you have for the dogs? How old is she ? It could be that she is doing it because she is bored how much excersise does she get?
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• She is a miniture poodle. She is always on the go. She demolishes chew toys! She especially like to get a hold of plastic; whether it be cup or bowl or shoe or sock. She always like having something in her mouth.
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 6:53 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Try finding toys that she can't destroy easily. Kongs, soup marrow bones things like that. You might also put up baby gates because it does not sound to me like she has earned to privilege of having full access to the house since she can't be completely trusted yet.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:17 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Cage her when you cannot be with her. Devote the time to watching her and being with her whenever she is not in her cage. Put all of your husband's socks in a top dresser drawer. She will be unable to reach them. Put the laundry basket on top of something (the washer, the counter). Try getting her one of the toys made up of strings.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:40 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• put the socks in a dresser drawer?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:40 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i agree with getting her better chew toys like kongs.... and you can put treats in there so that will really distract her
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:57 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• How old is she? Sounds like puppy behavior. I agree with the gates - keep her out of the areas where she is being damaging and give her space with lots of stuff that's okay for her to chew.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:57 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• yeah i agree move them and tell her no and get better chew toys.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:18 AM on Sep. 21, 2010