technology and the way we communicate with each other today leading to an inarticulate and dumbed down society?

we text short hand and spell you're as UR, and on facebook (and other social networking sites) it's apparent that some people don't have a firm grasp of correct grammar (or at least it comes off that way) because they can't distinguish between their and there and when to use which, and spell definitely, definately, and especially, exspecially and pronounce it that way in person too. so it seems the way we communicate socially is bleeding over into our daily lives and incorrect grammar, spelling and pronunciation have become a trend and children that are "old enough" to have cellphones and computers are learning it that way and accepting it as the norm.
what's your opinion?

pmg1030

Asked by pmg1030 at 7:13 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree that technology is part of the problem. The other part of the problem is the current trend in our educational systems to not properly teach grammar. Because of those two elements, we have a generation or possibly two with no firm grasp of the English language.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:29 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It's not making people less intelligent, it's highlighting who the less intelligent people are. Technology is a powerful tool for those who choose to use it, and many people do. Those who do become more intelligent, not less. On the other hand, others choose to rely on it, but these are the same people who would be pre-disposed to doing things "the easy way" no matter what environment they were in. As a society we are not losing abilities and information, but it does get easier and easier to spot those who individuals who do. These people would always exist. It's just that their spelling errors and inability to focus would be hidden from the view of most instead of posted somewhere the entire world can see it.

It's a lot like news giving the perception that there is more crime when there's actually less. There are more people learning and advancing, but the ones going the opposite are far easier to see than before.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:32 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Oh yes I totally agree. Now I'm a young mom (22) however, when I was growing up, I didn't know about cellphones/beepers(anyone remember those?)/computers until I got into 9th grade high school. By then the phones were smaller thank god, but my mom never gifted me with a cellphone. EVER. I had to wait about another year or two to save up one for myself (and by then I had already taken typing classes in school for the computer). It pains me at time to read alot of chatspeak or 1337 speak. For someone who prides themselves on their knowledge and language skills, I tend to try to go the alternate route and so it will be for my kids. Now, not saying I dont use the WTF, LOL, JMO at times but I tend to type it out the majority of the time. Its really our duties as parents to monitor it, my mom did and I'm thankful that she did or I'd probably still be spelling like a 4th grader. Some days I shake my head and ask 'Why' when I see the
    Mrs.Halloween

Answer by Mrs.Halloween at 7:36 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• kids who pass my house to get to the Elementary School across the street (yes, I said ELEMENTARY) take out cell phones and are calling other kids with cell phones, texting, etc. Now really...what does an Elementary School student need with a cell phone? If the parents are worried about safety, there should be limits on the phone to what it can and cannot do. Who it can and cannot call. But alot of parents also don't want to 'rule over' their kids. They rather be friends, than parents. Hence why we see the drop of abilities in our kids, hence why kids are getting more and more sexual at younger ages. We gotta be parents like our parents were and their parents before them. It's all about moderation and parenting.
    Mrs.Halloween

Answer by Mrs.Halloween at 7:40 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I could not agree more. It's one thing to text (I spell it "ur" too), but an entirely different matter to be illiterate. I also get irritated with "alot" and to and too. As far as pronunciation goes, I'm southern, so some of my consonants might be a little sluggish (think anything ending in -ing). I am able to speak and write properly, so I know it's just a cultural matter versus a lack of knowledge. I agree our educational system is lacking, however, it is FREE (well, sort of, but that's another topic entirely). It is an opportunity given to all of us, and yet we do not take advantage of it to learn. It's sad, really.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:41 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No, we are evolving. Look how language has changed over the years. Go way back when people said "thee" & "thou". No one speaks that way anymore, if they did, we would look at them funny. Yes we abbreviate when we text, we have a limited amount of space to use in that format. It doesn't mean we don't know how to speak or write. We just need a short cut. In a hundred years people will look back at us & think how primitive we were, just as we think of the people from the turn of the 20th century. Our forms of communication change over time. Do you think the Indians misspelled words when they sent smoke signals? It's just a sign of the ever changing times!
    Abytome

Answer by Abytome at 7:46 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• wow it must take you a million years to write a text if you're too "smart" to use any abbreviations. i can't make capitol letters with my keyboard (as you can see), but rest assured i have a college degree and just because i use abbreviations and other texting lingo i'm not a dumbass. i really don't see how you can base someones intelligence on texting anyway.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:54 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I spend eight hours a day using technology it does not use me. My son has a phone we both text but we do not text speak. some people do but just like we still write letters its all a matter of how you use the technology and do not become lazy doing it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:59 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i may text once in a while...and i don't think i'm going to be the hipster mommy who will be buying her 8 yr old a celly and 12 yr old a laptop. My children will wait just like i had to wait.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:00 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Actually, kids are still taught proper English in class at school. The kids choose to not use it. They are taught though, thereby making them "bilingual" in a way. My son is 14 and does not use the "text speak"...(his choice). It's all around him and he believes it makes others look absolutely stupid. He has a proper grammar and spelling pet peeve. I happen to write out all my texts in longhand and so does my BF, my son and many of my friends. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:00 AM on Sep. 21, 2010