I need a lot of advice!

My little guy will be 6 months on October 1st. I have had the priviledge of being home with him since he was born, however, I will be going back to work full time very soon. I have left him for short periods of time with the child care provider that will keep him once I go back, and he just cries and cries for her. It really breaks my heart that I have to leave him, but I have no choice. Last night I left him with DH while I had a meeting, and he cried so much for him that he nearly lost his voice. I absolutely hate to hear that he's that unhappy when I'm not around.

How can I get him used to me being gone? Is there a gentle way to do it so he doesn't get so upset? I'm thinking of calling the babysitter today and asking her if we could start doing short periods of time at her house and then gently increase the time there. I don't know what else to do. DH just says that he'll have to learn. :(

OTZMom

Asked by OTZMom at 7:28 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when your child is being watched by the child care provider do you stay there for awhile or drop him off? I would take some time and play with your child while with the babysitter so he gets used to her. and ALWAYS say goodbye, even that young, you are letting him know your leaving instead of just disappearing and over alittle bit of time he will understand you will come back.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 7:41 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• stuff a light blanket in your shirt for a while and then leave it with the sitter so he can smell you while you are gone.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:04 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Agree with LoveMyDog. Try leaving a small blanket or cloth dipaper in your shirt for a day so it picks up your scent. Before I started taking care of the little boy I sit for I spent a few hours with him and his mom so he could see that it was OK. I held him a couple of times in her presence and played with him while mom was with us. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:11 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I agree with these guys and with your idea. Some short times with the sitter to get them acquainted would likely help. Try spending time with the sitter with you there, or have her come to your house, so your baby sees that you are comfortable with her. It will take time, but it will get better, I promise.
    When you say your good-byes, try to keep them short, and try to keep your panic level down, because babies are very perceptive.
    I went back to work for short periods when my son was about 4 months, and he was the same way. He'd stay home with daddy, and sometimes cry the whole time. But it did get better. I think Daddy was panicking, and didn't know how to distract him.
    I hope everything goes smoothly! Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• If you like the babysitter, try and make sure that you smile when your baby looks at you. A reason for that is that he is trying to get a reaction from you regarding what you think about the person.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 4:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2010