Does this sound legitimate?? or like I am getting scammed?

I posted an ad for my very nice used living room set for $400. A man emailed me andsaid he wanted it, however he is on his honeymoon. He wants to have it home as a surprise for his new wife when they return. He said he's pay $450 if I removed the ad so that he knows its his and I won't sell it to anyone else. I removed the ad. He then asked for my address (which he needs anyways to pick up the furniture) and my name. He said he would mail me a cerfitied check from the bank, and have a moving company pick up the furniture when I cashed the check. Ok. THEN he emailed me saying his secretary accidentally mailed the check for $1,450. Honest mistake? or is something up with this guy? He said to cash the check which is supposedly in the mail already, and give the difference to the moving company when they pick up the furniture. What do you think about this situation?? I'm thinking 1. who is online this much on thier honeymoon?

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 8:09 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• 2. who surpirses thier new wife with furniture they may not even like....and its used? 3. if he has a secretary and stuff he prob has a good job - so why is he buying my used stuff?

Does this sound fishy to you??? What do I do? He says he's mailed the check....at first I thought it was fine so I said send it, that was before the amount of the check was messed up by the "secretary".......
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• it sounds like bs to me.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:11 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• scam.. online plenty of people say these kind of things. never give pout your address or full name. even on my work websites i egt people who want to send a carrier service to pick something up but its a scam straight up. apologize to him and say that he has to pay in person or you cant do it..and come on a thousand over on a check, most people notice that kind of thing. sorry to tell ya this
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 8:13 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• AND then he said to just keep $500 for all the hoops and difficulty.....
    ????????????????????????
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 8:13 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• very fishy..probaby a way to get your account number..i've heard of stuff like this happening ..you should call and report it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:13 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Um wow it sounds strange.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:14 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• so if its a scam whats the scam? whats gonna happen? he doesn't have my bank info??? i'm scared now.....
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 8:14 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i would tell the police..let them give you a fake address to mail it to so that way they can bust him
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:15 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• They probably stole a check and are letting you be the one to cash it actually
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:16 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i would just wash my hands of the whole thing
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:16 AM on Sep. 21, 2010