Need encouragment: C-section and breastfeeding

I will be having a c-section tomorrow. Without trying to get into all the nervousness about the surgery and weirdness about knowing my baby will be born tomorrow, I'm going to ask about your experience with breastfeeding after a planned c-section. I know my body doesn't know the baby is coming, so how is breastfeeding going to work? I tried to breastfeed my son, but it didn't work out and I found out later he had reflux. So this time I'm more determined with the "I'm going to breastfeed if it kills me" mentality. How did breastfeeding after a planned c-section work for you? Is there any advice?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 8:22 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your body will know WHEN the baby comes and that's what is important. I say go for it!!!
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 8:26 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:28 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The big thing is to try and relax. Having your baby nurse will help the milk come in. Let baby nurse as often and as long as he/she wishes. Dont give up if it takes a few tries. Congrats on your new bundle of joy. : )
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:30 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I breastfed after my planned c section. Your body reacts to the hormonal differences after delivering. Use a pillow to rest the baby on when you breastfeed. It will provide some cushioning for your incision. Ask to talk to the hospital's lactation consultant. Get her number for follow up questions and visits plus there is a breastfeeding group on here that can help you. Best wishes!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I did not have a planned section, but I know that when the placenta is delivered, it triggers milk production. Just nurse as often as possible, in order to encourage supply. I suggest a boppy or some sort of pillow, as for a while you will have to be cautious of the incision.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I breastfed after 2 planned csections with no problem. I had no problems, although I did request a lactation consultant both times just to make sure there weren't any issues.

Answer by missanc at 9:23 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Congratulations on your birth tomorrow! I hope everything goes smoothly!
    My c-section wasn't planned, and we definitely struggled, but we worked our way through it. it took us a good 6 weeks to really get going, but we did it, and I'm SOOOO glad we did. It takes a team sometimes, but you can do this. Just be sure to utilize every resource at your disposal!!
    One of my best friends had a c-section last night after a difficult labor (very similar to mine, actually), and her baby latched right on, and they had lots of successful breastfeeding last night and this morning.
    So the message here is that every baby is different. The nurses in recovery and post-partum generally have TONS of experience helping new mommies get breastfeeding off to a good start, and you can ask to see a lactation consultant. The more brains you can put together, the better. You'll gain something different from each person that helps you.
    Good luck! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Im breastfeeding my planned c-section baby right now (literally). Have been exclusively for 3.5 months. Having the "I can" confidence helped me a lot. And the nurses/lactation consultants help. believe in yourself, you can do this! Feel free to message me if you like...
    RodeoGirlUSA1

Answer by RodeoGirlUSA1 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i had a planned c-section with my daughter two years ago and nursed for three months. it took a couple days (maybe three?) for my milk to 'come in' all the way but they told me it was fine for her to just get the colostrum until then. on the fourth or fifth day everything came in all at once (i woke up with a huge c cup... i'm normally an a). she was great about latching on and all that.
    the only problem i had was the c section pain interfering with breastfeeding, it was really hard to find a comfortable position to nurse without using my abs! the best way i found was to lean back on a big pile of pillows against the headboard with shiloh laid in a curved pillow in my arms. good luck!
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'm still breastfeeding my baby (she's 7.5 months) after a planned c-section. I was worried about that too, but I had no problems. I breastfed her as soon as they brought her to me, which was about 2 hours after she was born. I found that the football hold was the easiest position to manage in those first few days. I also have a boppy, but I didn't even think about taking it to the hospital. I used it when I got home, and that worked great too and I didn't have too many pain issues. Nurse, nurse, nurse as much as possible and good luck!
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2010