Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 Bumps

going through a divorce and my husband has a attorney and wont pay for mine, as the stay at home mom for the past 10 years i cant afford one and now he's trying to screw me in this divorce what can i do? any free legal help out there?

Answer Question

Asked by lsford3 at 8:36 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (20)
  • You can contact legal aid in your area. You could also speak to an attorney about taking you on as a client and then making payments to them. Sometimes a judge will award a limited amount of attorney fees to a non-working spouse.

    Answer by Scuba at 8:40 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • You can normally get a free consultation. So talk to one or two lawyers you may find one willing to take it on an put in the divorce that he has to pay your attorney fees.

    Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:40 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • Also Google your state and the words "bar association". Search the site for pro bono (free) legal services.

    Answer by elizabr at 8:42 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • It should be under "Public Information" pulldown at top of page.

    Answer by elizabr at 8:44 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • i just looked at your profile, call the legal part of notre dame and they will hook you up with some advice. they do it for free to. legal aid is another number to call. my sister went to legal aid to get rid of her husband and she didn't have to pay that much. i've got the numbers around here somewhere. email me if you want them, right now i have to find em.

    Answer by noel1978 at 8:45 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • IDK...God Bless You!

    Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:45 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • i feel for you
    remember you are NOT powerless...but let him think that you are,,he will then have his control attitude on and i think the judge will see through that . do make calls, find some free legal aid, maybe you will not qualify because you live in his house and his mney counts towards qualifing, but that doe snot mean you can not get a lawyer, maybe you get a paid one and after divorce it comes out of joint moneys, you to are married, so you have right to the joint moneys, he is pushing you around

    find your strength!!

    when he knows you are strong, he will push harder, so let him think that you think that you are powerless
    (alot of thinks in there-does that make sense)
    you CAN do this, find your power and use it to help yourself and your kids

    good luck

    Answer by fiatpax at 8:46 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • Also contact your womens advocate in your area. He can't withold money from you as long as you're married. When you contact them tell them your situation and they will point you in the right direction. When you see an attorney make sure they know you weren't allowed any access to money, that's a big red flag, and will help you in the long run... Call you local social services and they can help you find what you need. GL, I hope it all works out for you.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • You can always defend yourself. In fact, if you do a good job, judges like seeing that. This will also show the court how much of a selfish jerk your ex was. It will also show the court that he makes the money & they will most likely reward you with a generous amount of alimony & child support. I'm sure he will try to get out of paying alimony, but it's not likely he will. If you stayed home & you were the care taker of the kids, the housekeeper etc and did not work at all because of it, then he will have to pay you alimony.

    I defended myself in court. I think i did very well actually. All you need os profe of your claims, you need lots of evidense against him.

    Alanaplus is also right. A lot of the times, they make the working husband pay for the non-working wife's lawyer, even if he doesn't want to. I think that is a good thing to look into. You can get free conslutations, shop around & see if they can do that for you.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 8:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • Where you are a SAHM, when you get in touch with Legal services, they will make him pay. Usually they do, depending on the reason for the divorce. Good luck hon,

    Answer by zbee at 9:04 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.