helping with nightmares

we stopped co-sleeping several months ago but we are up and running into our 3 yr old sons room anywhere from 2-10 times a night, usually around 5. we also have a 8 month old who wakes up 2-3 times a night we are all tired n exhausted. our son is fussy. we r cranky. he would wake up from dreams in our room but maybe just 1-2 times in his room its more. we dont believe in making him cry himself to sleep. just wondering if theres any help for his bad dreams, cutting back on certain kinds of foods or something. ty for any help

volsmomma22

Asked by volsmomma22 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i went and got a dream catcher kit from walmart and hung it up in my kid's room. it seems to work they haven't had nightmares for about three years
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Are you sure it's dreams? My son is at the "monster" age and the "ghost" age. He hasn't slept in the same bed, heck, the same room with me since he was 6 months old. He is now 3. But everynight, no matter what, he is always running into my bed with his blanket. "Mommy, a monster." Once he gets in our bed, he falls straight to sleep. I am always awake though, and I can't help but notice him sometimes laughing in his sleep. I don't know where the monster and the ghost are coming from...

AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 8:54 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Is he conscious when you go in to console him, or is he still sort of "out of it"? Does he nap during the day? When children are over-tired, they can suffer from night terrors. These are outbursts where they wake up crying in the middle of the night. It is different than a nightmare. Here is a link to some information about night terrors and things you can do to prevent them: http://www.babycenter.com/0_night-terrors_142.bc
    MyFamilyOfFive

Answer by MyFamilyOfFive at 9:01 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Put a night light in his room might help. 

Making linkable MyFamilyOfFive Night Terrors subject. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have a night light in DS's room. I think the dream catcher idea is good and I think I have read somewhere on here before something about getting a spray bottle and filling it with water and a little something to make it smell good. This should be something to help the "monsters" go away, if that is what he is having trouble with. Good luck to you. I hope you get a good night sleep soon.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• he is awake we thouht it was night terrors originally and talked to the dr. he is fully awake though he will tell me things like mommy im sorry i broke your horsey shoes and made you sad, or i didnt wanna go to ..., so its dreams because i have never had horse shoes. i think after he wakes up its more of a i want mom and dad to lay with me to go back to sleep. but the dreams are whats waking him up. he hasn't had a afternoon nap in almost a year so maybe we need to try that, normally if he takes an afternoon nap he will be up until 1 or 2 am its crazy. but we are exhausted at this point we are open to almost anything. we just dont want to have to resort to havin to drug him up. our niece takes meds for adhd and she is a zombie.
    volsmomma22

Comment by volsmomma22 (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010