Is smoked fish dip safe to eat while pregnant?

Reason I ask is because I did a search for cravings of Smoked fish dip and someone posted that this was something I shouldn't be eating. I have been craving it like a crazy person. I had it when someone brought it in to work it was fresh king fish the person caught that weekend before. Then I went out to eat and saw it on the menu and had to have it. Then this weekend I was craving it but never got around to getting any until last night I bought some at the grocery store. I ate about half the container (its a small one) and then just had some for breakfast. : ) I can not seem to get enough of this stuff, but if it's bad then I guess I will have to stop eating it. Anybody know if it really is bad to eat while pregnant?

cloverlover24

Asked by cloverlover24 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Also, the smaller the fish, the likelyhood of it containg mercury in very slim. There is a list of fish that are safe to eat. Fish is good for you.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It depends where the fish is from. Pregnant ladies are not supposed to eat fish out of the great lakes, too high of mercury.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 9:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Check with your OB to be sure, but I was allowed to eat smoked fish (it's cooked via smoking, so it's not raw).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:36 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• smoked is cooked like scuba said... just check on mercury levels of that type of fish... even still, just having it in small portions shouldn't hurt
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:38 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Like all the PPs said, check the mercury levels in it. Certain types of fish from certain locations have a very high amount of mercury in them, which can be very dangerous.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Ummm I'm from Minnesota and I have the DNR Fishing Guide in my hand and it says 1 meal of fish a week is acceptable for pregnant women.

Also FDA says 1 meal of fish a week is fine.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• depends on mercury but the way i see it were harming our babies anyway by eating highly processed foods already..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 9:48 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Why not stay away from it if it is bad.
    You know this
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2010