glucose tollerance test while pregnant. has anyone ever heard of the dr. having you eat waffles prior to the test?

my daughter in law is 6 mo. pregnant. her dr. ordered a glucose tollerance test. she was told to eat waffles before going to have the test done. i am a nurse and i have done several glucose tollerance tests. i am also a diabetic and i have taken glucose tollerance tests myself.

you are to fast 10- 12 hours prior to having your first blood test drawn. then after that you drink a syrupy orange drink, wait 1 hour then another blood test is drawn as well as urine. i talked her into letting me take a blood stick before she went for the test.

has anyone ever done a glucose tollerance test by eating prior to taking the first blood test? if so please let me know.

this is new to me, and i wonder how accurate the test is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Health

• waffles sounds wrong. she should not eat anything that converts into sugar. i was recommended to eat eggs for breakfast
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 6:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• That's sounds very WEIRD!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I work in a lab (A Plebotomist) , and it sounds like the test that he ordered is a 2hr PP, but he may be a little confused. The 2hr PP is when you eat a large, fatty/sugary meal and then 2 hours later you go in and have your blood (for your glucose) drawn to see how your body has processed all of that sugar.

Some doctors get different tests confused (for example, they check off the "fasting" AND "random" boxes for a glucose test...now that just doesn't make any sense.) and then I have to call and get clarification on what it is that they actually want.

I would go to the lab of your choice (where she will be drawn) and ask them to look at the order and ask them for specific instructions. Don't worry, we have people come in and do this all the time, I am sure wherever you go will be used to it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Oh, and in my lab we don't ask for a urine with our GTT's unless the doctor has ordered it. So if it is not on the order, then don't expect to have to leave a sample.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I wasn't told to fast but I wasn't told to eat anything specific either. I just went in as scheduled. They did tell me to drink that crap within 5 minutes though and it took me almost 20 and another hour or so of trying to keep it down!
    Anonymous

• huh.. i was told to eat a couple hours before drinking the 'juice' and then getting my blood drawn...
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 7:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I had this done with all 3 of my pregnancies and I was told to fast. I don't understand why he would tell her to eat waffles either, that's the last thing she should be eating if there is any hint of GD.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 7:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i do know that some doctors now are encouraging women to go to a testing facility that allows them to eat a high carb meal prior to testing instead of drinking that drink.
    eating a carb meal gives you a more accurate reading versus the beverage.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I failed the initial glucose test, so the doctor ordered the longer one. Before going in for that one, I was put on a high carb diet for a few days beforehand, but then did have to fast before going in for the test and drinking the orange stuff. Sure enough, the second test came back just fine! So maybe that's what the doctor meant? Not necessarily that morning, but in the days leading up to it?
    PrincessZ20

Answer by PrincessZ20 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i had to fast for twelve hours before hand.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2008