How often should a 6 week old formula fed baby poop?

My baby only pooed once in over 48 hours, but she is really gasy and she cries when she tries to push. Could she be constipated? Should I bring her to the docters? How often should they poop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "around 1 to 2 months of age, many babies go from having several bowel movements a day to going several days between bowel movements. This, too, is perfectly normal. It's not how often a baby moves his bowels, but how hard the stool is once it's passed that's cause for concern."

http://www.babycenter.com/404_what-are-normal-bowel-movements-for-formula-fed-babies_1334497.bc

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:11 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Every baby is different. but they say if you baby has not pooped in over 7 days. Then you should see the Dr. But is she is having a hard time pooping. I would call the Dr and see what they say.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My ped says formula fed babys may not poop as much adn get gassy because of the high iron content in formula, but it won't hurt them.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My baby only poop like once or twice a day. I don't know exactly how much they are supposed to poop. Try to burp him to see if the pain goes away.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 10:13 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Mine went every 4-5 days at that age. It's normal. She is only constipated if, when it comes out it is hard.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:17 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My first son only went 1-2 a day my 2nd son went 8-9 times a day so all babies r different!
    Becnfamily

Answer by Becnfamily at 10:37 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would call the doc and see what they say my little girl is 8 weeks and she goes usually at least 1 time a day or 2 but mostly 1.. if urs is crying and uncomfortable then I would call. She should go at least 1 time a day. My doctor told me he wanted to see her poop a couple times a day but 1 is ok...
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 3:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• DD has only pooped once a day since the day she was born. Every baby is different. But if she is crying and acting like she is in pain she is prob. constipated. Talk to her ped and see what he says to do for her. I give dd a little bit of apple juice, but she is 9 months old, so taht's prob not a good idea for you lo!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010