Constipation Issues adult content

My daughter has been constipated for 3.5 weeks now. Her first doctor told us to keep giving her suppositories. I didnt want to do this for to long and ended up switching her doc who told me to give her prune juice. I did that and she went but only that day. Am I going to have to give her prune juice everyday just to use the bathroom or is there something else that can be done. I hate seeing her in pain. She will be 5 weeks tomorrow.

tornmama

Asked by tornmama at 10:13 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is she formula fed? it could be the formula if she is, talk to her doctor about changing
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It could be the formula you are using if you are not breastfeeding. I always gave my son Apple Juice when he was constipated.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:15 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would stop the prune juice. My son pooped every 5 days. This was normal for him. They can go up to 10 days and be fine. They are not eating solid food remember. Is she in pain? When the poop does come out is it rock hard? If not, she is not constipated.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:15 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• what are the signs you are using to decide she is constipated?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Could be the formula???

Did anyone tell you that, usually the formula is not right if the baby is getting constipated like that, and constantly. If you are breast feeding maybe it is too harsh for the baby. I would mention it too the doctor..

Good luck...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• If you are formula feeding try a different formula. My oldest had issues. We had tried prune juice, diet and nothing. What worked for her was the chiropractor and she was put on a very low dose of over the counter Metamucil for it. It is something there body does not come to rely on. For her we found out it was a control issue for her. Something she could control in her life. Good luck. I know how hard it is to watch them in pain and trying so hard.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• my son would squirm and scream and was miserable in pain with constipation - we ended up using suppositories also but this young its true that you don't want to use them too often or they won't learn to go on their own like needed. you should check with your ped about using miralax. I think eventually it gets easier so no, a juice won't be forever, I was unable to breastfeed so I had this issue until he turned 1 from formula -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:22 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• She is on formula and Breast-milk until i can increase my supply because she just doesnt get enough from me. The cues i am going by is She just cant go. She will strain and scream and cry for hours until she falls asleep from pushing so hard. The only way she will go is if given a suppository.
    tornmama

Comment by tornmama (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'd like to explain about your baby, I'm not bashing you. A 5 week old baby has a very sensitive digestive track that should only have breastmilk. Breastmilk is a living fluid that is called white blood that has living white blood cells and other cells in it. Cow's milk is perfect for cows. To keep human babies alive on cow's milk they have to make major changes. Some of the problems with formula is that it is hard on the digestive system and of course doesn't have living cells to help the digestive system. If you give a bf baby one bottle of formula it takes the digestive system a month to recover. The baby's system is already stressed it be even more stressed by giving juice. Dr. William Sears recommends feeding half as much twice as often.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:35 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Call a La Leche League Leader to help you. Every bottle you give makes the baby nurse less well and the message is sent to your brain to make less milk. You can nurse one breast and pump the other every 2-3 hours. If the baby has to have supplement it can be given by spoon, dropper, syringe, or other ways. You want your baby to gain an ounce a week. Since your baby is constipated you can't count stools, buy scales. You can try to get donor milk from Lact-share.   

http://www.babycenter.com/404_what-are-normal-bowel-movements-for-formula-fed-babies_1334497.bc

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:42 AM on Sep. 21, 2010