Detention

Our Elementary school gives students detention which entails staying in at recess or lunch as a punishment! How do you feel about this? and do you think it works?

I guess I don't like the term "detention" for elementary school kids!! LOL :) I remember them in high school.

My kids bring home the detention slip for me to sign and they sort of shrugg it off like it is no big deal.

Skavswife

Asked by Skavswife at 10:25 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think that so much has been taken away from the teachers as far as being able to discipline the children at any age. I've seen some pretty terrible children, all ages, in public school too! lol I think detention is an acceptable form of punishment and I'd have no problem at all if my daughter were to receive detention for something she's done to break the rules. I mean, what other means of punishment would be more acceptable? Maybe what we should be really trying to focus more on is teaching our children (at HOME) how to behave so that they can avoid detention.
    Just my opinion:-)
    shellakers

Answer by shellakers at 9:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It works for my DD, who received her first detention last year (4th grade, she wouldn't stop talking during class). She loves recess, it was a big deal that she had to miss it. She hasn't had a problem talking in class since!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:27 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Detention is a form of detainment from anything that would be of enjoyment to anyone. Detention in elementary school is to hlep get them in shape for what is to come later in life. If that means that they didn't listen and follow the rules then there are consequences for those actions. I think that it is fine and will work for most kids.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:29 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Well, I can answer this one for sure....my son has been in detention at least a billion times in his school career. He has been already 5 times this school year. He LOVES detention..it is quiet and he can work in peace. It teaches him nothing by going. He LOVES that he doesn't have to sit in class with the one teacher he hates.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Detention is really like a time-out, and works best if it takes children away from something they enjoy or if it keeps them after school. It works for children who need a wake-up call.  Children with behavioral or psychological issues need additional intervention. Detention alone won't do it.

www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 10:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• They shrug it off because to them that is what the term Detention means. To you and I detention means going to a special classroom where you are seperated from the rest of the classroom, have to be super quiet and such. I think it's okay to do that. It's just a glorified time out, lol.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'm okay with dententions being handled during the day, taking away their time from their friends during recess or lunch is probably more of a punishment than making them stay after school.
    The one and only time this happened to my youngest son he was in 1st grade and in tears in the principal's office and when he got home.
    I don't think he'll ever do anything again to get himself in trouble at school
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010