Does it get easier? I am a full time working, sleep deprived mom, just need some words of encouragement, STRONG WORDS :)

I have a wonderful 5 month old girl, I breastfeed. She wakes up every 3-4 hrs still at night. I haven't transitioned to her crib yet because I go to bed everynight just hoping for some sleep so I put her in her swing, where she USED to sleep so well. (She HARDLY naps at daycare). I don't know how to keep carrying on at work like this. I feel like all my girlfriends have perfect all night sleepers so they don't understand what I am going through

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Completely understand, a lot of mommies go through this. YOu can do it!!!!

You have to try and squeez in me time, not much but time for relaxing alone. Even if it is an hour someone at your house, while you take care of you....

I have done it for two years in a row, one beautiful girl then I was surprised with the most handsome boy... YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• YOU CAN DO IT!. I know many might disagree, but I gave my daughter chamomile tea, that she sleep better at night, this gave me just 2-3 feedings instead of 5-6. I was working and studying at grad school, and it definetely seem insane.
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• IT WILL GET BETTER! however, now is the time to enforce some sleep sense in baby. it's good for them to learn to put themselves to sleep--not only are they happier and brighter in the am (and so are you) but it begins the development of the ability to sooth themselves which will translate to the toddler time. FOUR months is when her doctor should really start discussing this with you during her "well child" exams. also, is she exclusively breast fed? if she's consuming 32 oz of breast milk a day (or formula) and still seems a little hungry, time for solid foods :)!

YOU ARE AMAZING. do you have someone telling you this?? working and being a mom is no joke. the fact that you are still breast feeding is fabulous.
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 10:38 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have three kids. My oldest is a HORRIBLE sleeper. Has been since the day she was born 6 years ago! My middle child didn't sleep so bad as a baby, then at around 2 figured it out and sleeps like a log every night. My youngest slept great at first, now, not so much. I breastfed all three and I understand how tired you are. It seems as though you may never sleep again and most nights, you don't. Hang in there, dig deep and you will get through it! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:39 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• well we should trade with the moms whos kids sleep all night then cuz i want one of those lol! yes it gets better ur body gets used to it! i feel sleepy all day if i get over 6 hours of sleep! im guessing she takes a bottle at daycare? maybe ur hubby could feed her from a bottle once in a while so u could sleep more! while im pumping at work i just rest my eyes for a whole and relax it helps me feel more awake! some days are better than others! just think soon these days will be over and u will forget about it until u have another baby! then u will ask why did i do this again! lol! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• come join the full time workin mamas group, we have all been there
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• CO SLEEP! I've gone through 4 years now of frequent waking between two kids. The first time, I drove myself nuts like you are doing. I watched the clock and mentally recorded every time he woke up to complain about it the next day. It took me about a year to learn that I couldn't watch the clock, and even though he was still waking every 2 hours, I didn't feel it.

When my second was born, we co-slept from day one and I don't have a clock in my bedroom. As far as I know, he sleeps wonderfully... I KNOW I wake up with him, but I've no idea how many times or how often. It doesn't matter at this point because we're both getting the sleep we need and he's getting the milk he needs.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:40 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My baby girl is also 5mths and I am going through the same thing. I cry every night b/c she gets up so much. I do have 3 other older children and yes it does get much easier. We need to realize that this to shall pass and before we know it she will be a teenager waiting up for her to come home. I try to keep telling myself that she is only a baby once and I should enjoy it. But when you are so tired its so hard to feel like that. Keep your chin up and nap on the weekends like I do. To heck with the house work it will get done when you are up to it. Just look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself that you ARE a wonderful mother and your baby girl couldn't do it without you. Hope this helps you out!! Take care sweety!
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 10:45 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I can understand the feeling. One of my twins started sleeping through the night when I went back to work, but the other one stopped sleeping through the night when I went back to work. It did get better by the end of the first year, and by two years it was significantly better. You will make it, and there will be relief at some point. Hang in there!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:49 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• its very hard. im a single mother working and school. We are strong women, we can do it. ask for help, its okie. if u try to do it all alone you'll go crazy. Put that pride a little down and it'll all work out. make a schedule that's how i get by.
    Krizia03

Answer by Krizia03 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 21, 2010