would you keep her home from school?

she says she has a headache, i gave her tylenol. her temp is 99.

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 10:34 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If she honestly does not seem to feel well then keep her home. If her temp is usually lower than 99 and you think it seems like she is getting a fever then keep her home. Like a pp mentioned if you are proactive and let the child rest and fight off the virus they will be healthier in the long run.

One of the pp who said they give their child motrin at 99 is the cause to when an illness starts going around everyone catches it. Masking your child's fever so they can go to school is sad. Also fevers should be allowed to run their course so your child's immune system can do it's job. Motrin is also harsh on your body. Can cause stomach bleeding and things.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 3:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• No. 99 is not a high temp.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'll but it this way: If she feels like going to school, I certainly wouldn't make her stay home. Headaches normally go away in a few hours anyway, and 99 isn't really a fever.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:36 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Not knowing the situation or your daughter, its hard to tell. My first thought would be to send her to school if its just a slight headache. Does she seem really miserable, sensitive to light, nauseous? If she is showing any of those symptoms I'd say keep her home. Other than that, probably not. The best answer would be to go with your instincts. You know your daughter.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:39 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• honestly I don't know I know how bad my headaches are but I would pry send her and tell her if it gets worse to go to the nurse.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 10:41 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes, because my kids school nurse will sent a kid home with a 99 temp even if the kid has a tee shirt under a sweat shirt----she annoys me!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:57 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes, I would probably send her to school. I would also either send a note via her to the teacher, or talk to the teacher and let her know that she was not feeling well, but since she had no fever I had sent her anyways. That way the teacher would know to keep a little closer watch on her, and call me if she started feeling worse.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:38 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would have given her some ibuprofen and sent her to school. Ibuprofen would bring the temp down pretty quickly and last through the school day. That's just me though =)
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes. If my son was acting out of sorts, reporting that he head hurts, and has a small temp...yep. My child's school has a policy if a child has a temp do not send them to school until they have been fever free for twenty four house. Not only would I not want him to spread any illness he may have I also don't want him vulnerable to get anything else. His body needs the rest. It also makes it so that he is sick less often if you are proactive. I would not want any other parent to send their child to school, knowing the child was not feeling well, and allow that child to spread germs to my kid. It is called manners. Seriously, then the parents who send their sick child to school bitch when their child does have an issue - well duh, stop sending your sick kid to school.  And not to mention a child not feeling well cannot really concentrate well. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010