How do I make more money but not compromise my time with my baby?

I have a degree in Public Health but all the starting jobs only pay 10 an hour for full time. I currently work at costco and make $4 more then that and only have to work part time. The difference is like $50 a month. To me it's not worth it...but i want to get into my career. We live in a small town so it's hard to find something that will make me more money.

CharleesMom7

Asked by CharleesMom7 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• Go to grad school and get student loans and any other financial aid you can get. That's what I did to survive and be with my kids. I got a master's in health science, a master's in adult and community ed, and I completed all my coursework for a science doctorate with a major in health science. I was in grad school from 1990 - 2006 (from the time my youngest was 2-18). The longest I was away from my kids was 6 hours a week. I was a single mother and able to homeschool them.

Now there are more online courses and you may be able to take all online courses while your baby is young. You have to have a 3.0 undergrad ave to get into most grad programs.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:00 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You should look into working from home..it may have to be an option to consider
    Lovelymee23

Answer by Lovelymee23 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• this will sound either stupid or too good to be true... but it's neither! i'm a cocktail waitress in a nightclub/casino and i make BANK. after college i just wasn't making enough, i went to an open interview just for shits and was hired on the spot... you will not make this much money without a degree... i "make" minimum wage and work full time so it's only like 900 a month... on paper. in reality, i've had nights when i made 240 in tips in six hours. much of the time i'm making 24- 30 an hour.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 1:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Unfortunately, if you want to put your degree to use, you're going to have to take a job that doesn't pay what you want or have the hours you want until you get yourself established. It's up to you, but the longer you wait between graduation and going into your chosen field, the harder it's going to be. Whatever you decide, make sure you have no regrets.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Juice Plus- Help others, help yourself! www.juiceplusvirtualfranchise.com
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 3:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• go with your degree, you can always go back to costco and still have time for your family
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 5:28 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Have you ever thought about working from home? I work from home and I love it! I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3 year old son, and 18 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Weekly pay! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 7:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree with the others that have mentioned working from home. With Mary Kay, I earn 50% on everything I sell and get to hang out with the girls and have fun, spend time with my family, work whichever hours I want, and earn money while doing it! Get in touch with me if you're interested in learning more!!
    mbdc

Answer by mbdc at 2:15 AM on Sep. 26, 2010