Anyone hear about eating pineapples to help induce labor, any truth to it?

I am going on 35 weeks and have no intention on trying it...but as I get a lot closer I may. Was just wondering if anyone else heard this and if it works?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well if it were turn. then I would have gone into labor already.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i ate a whole pineapple and drank raspberry tea at 39 weeks. I had my membranes stripped the day before I ate that and went into labor 2 days later. I honestly don't think those things do anything. After five pregnancies, if your body isn't ready nothing will work. These things have been shown to help once labor begins, but it doesn't make it begin.
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't think it works. The only TRUE natural labor inducer is castor oil. That will DEFINITLEY throw you into labor.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:16 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't know. I wouldn't even try it at a later time. Talk to your DR, first before you try anything if you do. I never understand why some women want to induce themselves. A baby is so precious and needs to mature properly and come on it's own.

Oh, and don't try the oil. It won't work. If it worked for others, they were probably already in labor and didn't know. It will just give you the *hits and you could possibly have your baby crap in utero which can be dangerous if aspirated.

JMO.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No I don't think that's true, when I was pregnant my doctor never said and I've never heard that before, I ate pineapple during my pregnacy and I didn't go into labor, I was late.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I am a doula...the oNLY true inductment method id sperm.....so sex....or I have even just suggested getting it, and placing it up there manually. Baby will come when baby is ready.....also you can try to walk steep inclines, which will push baby farther doen the birth canal, Good Luck, and congratulations.
    bcnul8a

Answer by bcnul8a at 11:36 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• DO NOT TRY CASTOR OIL!!!
    bcnul8a

Answer by bcnul8a at 11:37 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't know how it can be actually proven because everyone that tries can't consume enough. It cuts up their mouths.
    :-(
    You can try to eat several whole, fresh pineapple, but it's not likely to be enough and will hurt your mouth.

(*Buying 5 or 6 fresh pineapples is pricey as well!)

There is an enzyme that might help, but the hormones from sexual stimulation are much more effective (& pleasant)!

Since baby is still inside for a Very Important Reason, be sure to Respect this...
    Labor will start spontaneously as baby is ready. Nature / God have designed this process perfectly~
    trust!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Never heard about that one.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2010