Schooooooooooooooooool?

There is three weeks for school. The teacher does not encourage loud reading (only to yourself), she tells kids that this is ok not to study, instead they can do 'jobs' in class- pass the paper, clean the board or carry copies from the office....my daughter is happy she likes the school and volunteers all the jobs she can, to get away from reading and math...Complex math, like multiplication or division discouraged...and not shown at all...
I spoke with the director, he told, that this is teacher's method, and I should work it with her. I spoke with her , it does not help, she tells kids do not need to be pushed or be perfect. Anyhow...my daughter does not want any change, I am terrified...

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in

• That sounds outrageous and like a lazy teacher. Work with her at home on her assignments and/or get materials at her grade level to do with her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• What grade is your child in?
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I think I would look into changing schools... (If it's possible anyway)
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:11 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You can also go to the Superintendent and report her,and the Principle for not helping you.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:12 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Can she change teachers?
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• She is in 1 grade. The teacher reads them books, does not write anything on blackboard, speaks with others at the class time, this is my 'nightmare teacher'....but my daughter tells 'she is beautiful and nice' and that she likes her and very proud to help....
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The director states, if you do not like you can go to private school, or to other school elsewhere (This is the best school in our town, but renters, newcomers and immigrants get that kind of 'best'. The director told we can complaint to superintendant, he has no problem with this, it won't change anything, I think this is policy to drive out the unwanted population....
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• What kind of school is it?

My daughter goes to a Montessori where all of the things you described are encouraged. She learns at her own pace and it works really well for her. Some weeks she helps a lot in the classroom and then other weeks she works really hard.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:20 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I think in 1st grade they have to learn basic math like adding numbers with 3 digits..multiplication comes later. Have you talked to other moms who have had this teacher in the past? Does her method work?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The director does not allow changing teachers..
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Sep. 21, 2010