their, there...? Explain me

Ok.. I just wrote and answer and have no idea wich was the correct word. My 1st language is spanish so I still get a little confuse. Explain the diference between "their and there". Thanks ladies for always being helpful!

sweetyazfl

Asked by sweetyazfl at 11:29 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Glad you asked. "There" indicates a place as in, "I live here not there." It is the opposite of "here." "Their" is the possessive of "they", as in "They live there but is isn't their house." Here you want to indicate that the house belongs to them. "They're" is a contraction of "they are", so that to say, "They're over there in their new house" means "They are over at that place in the new house that belongs to them."
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:30 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• their is an ownership word. I am going to their house.

There is a place word. Put the plant over there. I remember it is about location because it has the word here in it. Should we put it here or there?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Thank you superrmommyy! lol i get confused sometimes.
    sweetyazfl

Comment by sweetyazfl (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Ok, their is possesive...as in This is their finest hour. There is used as in You can put your coat in there. Then there is they're as in they are...They're going to the store. Hope this helped.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• There is food in the fridge

That was their car you wrecked

wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'm glad you care enough to ask that question. MANY people with English as their first language don't care enough to learn that!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The way I learned it is easy. Here and There means a place. They're is they are. That only leaves Their for personal, as in it isn't their toy.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:32 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• 10 Word you need to stop misspelling from TheOatmeal.com

Most helpful thing I've found to explain this and other commonly misspelled words!

SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 11:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2010