help me I am going insane here....Babysitting with a crying 3 year old

Oh my gosh I can't take it he crys all the time. I watch them at my house he has a 19 month old brother. He takes something from my DD that had the toy first so I make him give it back and he throws a fit. He will scream at the top of his lungs and like I make them eat all the table because I am tired of picking crunched up food off my floor and he starts throwing a fit because I make him eat in the kitchen. He throws a fit because I make him help my 2.5 year old clean up the mess he helped make. I can't take it anymore what do I do? I put him in timeout last week because well first he wanted koolaid right after his mom left I told him to hold on (I had to make it) cause I told him to hold on he threw a fit. Then he tried taking a toy from his brother I made him give back so he got mad threw his cup at his brother and started crying so I sat him on the couch and he started screaming bloody murder

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• maybe he is not getting enough sleep. I would get down to his level and speak calmly and firmly he has a choice to quit crying for no reason or to go lay down. Kids get like that when they are over tired. also whenever a behavior starts nip it in the bud and say "okay your going on the bed and you will not get off until you can come out a happy boy"
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:38 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It is hard being 3 and not having the vocabulary to say what you mean. I think he is saying that a lot has changed since the baby came and it sounds like he isn't the star anymore so he has started yelling.

Tomorrow can you have a special just for him something? Or try complimenting him when he is doing good instead of noticing when he is being bad. My daughter does so much better with positive input than negative.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:35 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sounds like he gets away with anything he wants at home. Have you talked to mom and dad about his actions?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Do yourself and that child a favor. Quit babysitting for that family. Your heart is not in it. You are not dealing with a thing, you are dealing with a child. That child needs a loving caregiver during the day, and you cannot provide the love and patience that he needs.

MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 11:55 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I agree with MomToBe, it sounds like this family is too difficult for you. When you take children into your home, you also take their family baggage and emotional issues. You just don't sound capable, ignoring a child that needs your attention and the only way they know to express that (because of their household) is to throw a tantrum is not the way to go. You have to get down on their level, talk to them, make them fee equal and respected and safe, than he will warm up to you and behave better, but you treat him very negatively (in his eyes) and it'll only remain this way or get worse.

Good luck
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 12:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sounds like the crying fits work on some people. You need to ignore him when he has a tantrum. Just try to remind yourself that by not responding to the tantrum, you're establishing that it doesn't work on you, and sooner or later, he'll stop. Hopefully it'll be sooner.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:36 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Have you talked to the Mother about this? you two would need to work as a team for this behavior, my son is also very over emotional and extreme so we when issues arise, we ( me and our provider) seem to be able to do the same methods so there is no confusion of what he will and won't get away with -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:38 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

Oh my gosh I have, but if I ignore him he gets louder so it makes it hard to ignore sometimes lol.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

not yet she is a single mom dad isn't involved
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Sep. 21, 2010